Sears Garage door opener + control outdoor lights

I have a Sears Craftsman garage door opener that came with a 3 button multi function remote control that is supposed to be Homelink compatible. One of the buttons controls the door itself and the other 2 I was hoping I could program to perform other stuff.

Mainly, I would like to have one of the other 2 buttons turn the outdoor lights on and off from my car. They are not lights that I can plug into an outlet. They are currently controlled by a wall light switch inside the house. I was hoping I could simply replace that light switch by one that is wireless enable (315 Mhz is the frequency my Sears remote operates at).

I asked the technical support at X10 is their products would allow me to do that. I ended up buying 2 parts. 1 WS467 wall switch module and 1 TM751 Mini Transceiver. Is that even right ? So far, I plugged a lamp into the mini transceiver and tried to turn it on and off using the Sears remote with no success. Do I need to do anything for the transceiver to "learn" the remote ? Is there a simpler way ?

Please let me know if you can help me ...

Regards,

Chaotik

Reply to
Chaotik
Loading thread data ...

The TM751 uses 310MHz and (almost certainly) a different RF protocol than your Sears remote. They will not work together.

You may have confused the tech support people if you mentioned Homelink. Built-in Homelink transmitters can learn (both frequency and protocol) but your Sears remote cannot.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Are you sure about that? I thought that's basically the entire POINT of Homelink. It's a learning RF remote. If that's not the case, what the heck does Homelink do??? The Homelink buttons on my Prius rearview mirror do absolutely NOTHING until I train them on the RF remotes I want them to emulate.

My answer would have been that you need to

1) buy or borrow a palmpad RF remote, 2) set it and the wall switch to the code you want to use 3) make sure you can turn the lights on and off with the palmpad 4) train your garage door opener from the palmpad
Reply to
NoSuchPerson

Yes, I'm sure about that. I think you need to reread the original post. He does not have a Homelink equipped car but has a garage door remote which is sold as "Homelink compatible" which means that, if he did have a Homelink equipped car, he could use the garage door remote to train his Homelink. In this case, calling the remote "Homelink compatible" is about as meaningful as calling it "gravity compatible". I predict if you hold it at shoulder height and release your grip, it will demonstrate its "gravity compatibility".

The "compatibility" is in the Homelink system not in the garage door opener. Any ASK RF system using frequencies within the Homelink range is "Homelink compatible" in that the Homelink system can learn it. The garage door opener and remote use a fixed 315MHz frequency. The garage door opener can be trained to respond to two more of the remotes designed to work with it but cannot be trained for 310MHz or for the X-10 RF protocol.

Now, if you want to loan him your Prius... ;)

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

The 3-button garage door opener does not have any learning capability at all. The opener is homelink compatible which means that a "learning" home link transmitter (that also will work w/ rolling code) will open the door once it is programmed into the unit.

However there is a 2-button & a 4-button transmitter that one of the buttons does have the "learning" capability but they never automatically come w/ the units.

DoorDoc

snipped-for-privacy@NOSPAMPUHLEEZschnapp.org wrote:

Reply to
doordoc

| However there is a 2-button & a 4-button transmitter that one of the | buttons does have the "learning" capability but they never | automatically come w/ the units.

Can you get a handheld remote with full HomeLink learning capability?

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ah. I didn't think anyone would try to claim a non-learning, non-Homelink RF remote as being Homelink compatible. Yikes.

Reply to
NoSuchPerson
[snip]

Actually, it is rather common to see "Homelink compatible" used this way.

I suspect Johnson Controls charges a hefty license fee for true "Homelink compatibility". Third-party remotes that use the Homelink technology sell for $150 (for a three button learning remote). I bet a big chunk of that is the license fee.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

I see they can also learn FSK codes. The frequency (in the USA) extends from

288-418MHz with exclusions at 322-355MHz and 400-410MHz. They have a much broader frequency range in Europe.

formatting link
From the Homelink website it's not clear whether they can learn a variety of rolling codes or only Keeloq codes. If the former, it raises fundamental questions about the security of rolling codes.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

I just came across Chamberlain's "The Clicker® Universal Garage Door Opener Remote Control"...

formatting link

This appears to be the learning remote alluded to by doordoc that is compatible with your opener. There's also a compatible lamp module.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.