Searching for a easy communication home automation system

Hi,

We are a student team of an ingineering school. We would like to build a home automation system controlled by GSM. We know how to use and program the GSM chip.

We don't want to use X.10 as it really looks crappy (the main problem is no error detection and no retransmission). But we are pretty interested by Insteon and Z-Wave.

Do you know any system on which one we could easily use a serial connection to use it ? We are pretty interested by Insteon and the 2414S controller (

formatting link
) but we don't know we would be able to communicate with it. Z-Wave also seems good, but we don't have any idea on how to communicate with a Z-Wave serial controller.

Our school can help us to use ZigBee, but it seems that there isn't any ZigBee product for home automation. And it seems to me it's too high level protocol (compared to the Z-Wave & Insteon protocols which seem really easy to implement and low cost chip).

So if we have any clue, we are really intered.

Florent Clairambault

Florent (at) Clairambault fr

Reply to
Florent Clairambault
Loading thread data ...

Florent,

As I noted in my response to your email, I don't think Insteon is available yet for 230V/50Hz so you will likely need to concentrate on other systems.

Unless things have changed, Zensys wants a lot of money for their Z-Wave SDK. I'm not a fan of Z-Wave but there may be others here who can help.

There are Zigbee home automation devices but there are also some patent suits filed by Lutron against both Control4 (Zigbee based) and Leviton (Z-Wave based). You probably should avoid both until the lawsuits play out.

Have you c>Hi,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thank you for your answer

We could use it with a 230V to 120V converter. It's a school school project, so if we can't use it our home, it's not really a problem. And Insteon is supposed to come in Europe, at the end of 2007 / beginning of 2008.

Yes, it's too expansive. But as I said, it's a school project, we won't sell it, so we don't really care about copyrights. If we can find a serial controller and a way to use it, that would be great.

I could'nt find any of them. Can you give me a website where to find them ? We are not really interested by ZigBee, but our school has a license, some chips and lots of projects have already been made on it (but few were really working).

I have a bad feeling about C-Bus. I think it's too high level protocol. That means that it will be more expansive. A very simple protocol might be better for this project.

Florent

Reply to
Florent Clairambault

Search this forum using "Insteon 50Hz". There were several messages from someone in India who was experimenting with Insteon in a closed laboratory system. I do not recall the details but think he had problems because of the

50Hz.

Here are some Zigbee l>Thank you for your answer

Reply to
Dave Houston

That's pretty annoying

formatting link
formatting link
formatting link

There are some serial controllers :

formatting link
I would prefer to use direct serial connection. But as I ask in my next topic : Will I be able to send the right commands, is it as simple as the Insteon's 2414S controller ?

Florent

Reply to
Florent Clairambault

I have no idea - I did not spend the thousands of dollars they wanted for their SDK and, if I had, I would not violate the license by telling you the protocols.

As I told you I'm not a fan of Z-Wave. I would assume that any serial controller would have a high level protocol for communicating with it if that's all you want to do. Just ask the vendor what software comes with the controller. That doesn't seem to be much of a student engineering project. For about $25 you can buy a programmable RF transceiver and listen to the RF communications between nodes.

But, as I said in your other thread, you need a controller that uses the

868MHz RF frequency used by Z-Wave in Europe. In N. America they use the 900MHz band.

"Florent Clairambault" wrote:

Reply to
Dave Houston

There is a much less expensive option than purchasing the original SDK.

Mr. Houston has never tried Z-Wave. He bears a personal grudge over matters entirely unrelated to Z-Wave against two people who sell it. He has also made several failed attempts at marketing X10 based products, which partly explains the bias. In all fairness, since I sell several lines of Z-Wave products I can't claim to be without bias either.

There are.

I certainly hope you meant to type "interested". :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

HomeSeer sells a serial interface for Z-Wave.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In all "fairness":

formatting link

Reply to
Frank Olson

Here's a link to that thread.

formatting link
I can only speculate about why it did not work on 50Hz but suspect they use dead reckoning with a timer referenced to the previous ZC to start the

131.65kHz signal, which starts 800µS before ZC and continues for 1023µS after. The timing probably is based on the expected line frequency of 60Hz. You can see oscilloscope screenshots here that show the relationship between the signal and ZC - the picture labelled B shows it best. You can also see it diagrammed on p34 of the Insteon white paper at...

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

On Oct 9, 6:45 pm, "Florent Clairambault" > Our school can help us to use ZigBee, but it seems that there isn't any ZigBee product for home automation. And it seems to me it's too high level protocol (compared to the Z-Wave & Insteon protocols which seem really easy

Go to

formatting link
and follow the links to the Zigbee modems. There is company that sells a Zigbee using the AT command set. You don't have to know anything about the Zigbee protocols when using their AT modem command set.

Reply to
backspace

Nice idea - but costly for HA use. Here's a direct link...

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thank you for all the links.

You gave us a lot of information. We still don't know if Insteon works in

110V 50Hz, so maybe we will switch to Z-Wave if we can. And if you can't, we will try the ZigBee products...

Florent

Reply to
Florent Clairambault

Yes, I've seen. But can we use a simple protocol to reprogram it, and will it be compatible in Europe ?

Reply to
Florent Clairambault

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.