running "structured wiring"

As I'm getting closer to completing rewiring my 2nd floor, I'm thinking that I would like to put cable, internet, phone, etc. in all the bedrooms while I'm messing around... sounds like the easiest way to do this would be to use a "structured wiring" panel with the special cables

- 2x RG-6 and 2x CAT-6 - and I'm wondering what is the best way to wire this. I'm thinking currently that maybe I would need to run smurf tube in directly from the basement to the attic, and then drop down the walls in the bedrooms. I'm thinking that i would need 3 of those cables (3 bedrooms) plus another RG-6 for a future roof antenna installation. (I already have cable, but would like to also have the ability to watch OTA TV. Sometimes the picture is actually better, but rabbit ears only work well on the 2nd floor.) I'm assuming the right way to do this would be to cut little coupons out of the wall at the floor and ceiling and use a right angle drill with a hole saw to get through the sill plates/floor/subfloor?

So... given those cable requirements, what size smurf tube would I need? Or there is an unused PVC conduit running up along my chimney that was for a PO's PV installation, could I just repurpose that? I guess what I'm really looking for is guidance from someone who's used these products before as to what size will make for easy pulling.

Also, in this kind of installation, do I need to have boxes at the ends of the smurf tube or PVC, or can I just use bushings and then split the cables from there? (do they even make bushings for smurf tube?)

Where can I *find* short lengths of large diameter smurf tube? Is that something that would likely be available at your local electrical supply house?

Finally, for running the cables in the basement (exposed joists) is there any kind of small "cable tray" arrangement I could use rather than stapling to joists or continuing smurf tube to the panel?

thanks,

Nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel
Loading thread data ...

I would NOT use a structured wire product for a number of reasons. First, it's usually more expensive than the sum of the single cables. Second, it's usually much harder to handle than individual cables. It's very thick and stiff and hard to bend in tight places. Third, if you accidentally put a nail in the cable, you have to either remove the whole structured cable or run an additional wire through an already crowded hole.

I also wonder how long RG-6 is going to be useful. Almost everything RG-6 can do is now "doable" with CAT-6 and baluns. CAT-6's turned out to be a far more universal cable, suitable for repurposing in the future when you might have different needs. Plus, when you get to where you are going with a cable run, you might find that you need to run the CAT-6 to one side of the room and the RG-6 to another. Discrete cables make that a LOT easier to do with far less waste.

Just my two cents. You may have good reasons to go structured. I'd invest the money you save going single cable in good tools for terminating the two types of cable because that's where 90% of cable problems occur. Compression fittings for the RG-6 (I use quad shield cable, but won't get into that can of worms as to if it's any better than plain RG-6 other than being more resistant to jacket damage) and EZ connectors and a crimper for the CAT-6.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

if its a new install with open walls run the cable of your choice in conduit for easy upgrading later. just pull new cable as needed

Reply to
hallerb

This is most definitely NOT new install. House is same approximate age as my parents :/

nate

Reply to
N8N

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.