Running IR via Cat5

How can I extend an IR signal across CAT5? What type of connectors are needed to connect the 3.5 mini cable to CAT5? I am installing an IPOD in remote location from AV Receiver and will use IR to control the AV remotely.

Reply to
jv.davis
Loading thread data ...

The AVS Forum files:

formatting link
Turned up this message:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------- I have 4 IR receivers all hooked together all over the house running through the spare phone wires. (I ran my phones on CAT5 through the house) You can run IR over 200' on CAT5.

The three wires used are +12V, -12V and Signal. I built my own breakout cables to convert the miniplug into the phone jack. took about 20 minutes and the sacrifice of some DSL filters (I needed only one and they sent 5 :) )

You can check out pictures here:

formatting link

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

------

It's got lots of pictures of exactly what you want to do and one of the most interesting wiring diagrams I've seen in a while

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

If you can use the wireless "Power-Mid " that looks like a black pyramid it might be easier. I have several of them and they carry IR signals from room to room without any problems.

They cost around $50 for a set (sender and receiver). Additional senders can be bought separately.

Most of the homeautomation sites sell them. They will have a more detailed description. I like them.

Jack

Reply to
Jack

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.