Ruling May Be End for Vonage; Judge Enjoins Use Of Key Technology

Speaking of litigation and technology:

formatting link

"A federal judge yesterday dealt a potentially fatal blow to Vonage Holdings, the Internet-phone service that offers one of the few alternatives to traditional carriers, by ordering it to stop using a technology that connects its network to the public telephone system.

U.S. District Judge Claude Hilton approved the request by Verizon Communications for a permanent injunction two weeks after a jury in Alexandria found that three of its patents had been infringed by Vonage, including one for the technology allowing the Internet company's 2.2 million customers to call regular phones."

What's that slogan from their ads? One smart move . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

One more reason to sign up with ViaTalk.

Thanks,

Thomas

formatting link

Reply to
Thomas

Next time please mention that you're plugging your own company. You'll get more respect that way.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

With the possible exception of yourself, I'd imagine that everyone was aware that he was making a sales pitch, given the number of pitches you make yourself, I'm surprised that such things bother you

Doug

Reply to
Doug

Oops. I accidentally deleted the URL (cough, spam, cough)

was it:

formatting link
or was it

formatting link
or maybe
formatting link
Why would we think your access to the phone network is any more protected than Vonage? I suspect you're just a much smaller player in VOIP that Verizon hasn't "gotten to" in the first wave. Sometimes, all a company has to do is punish one patent infringer *severely* for the others to just die from shock. The judge in the case just enjoined Vonage from signing up any new customers. My lawyer friends tell me that's the kiss of death. Vonage lives or dies depending on whether Verizon wants to be nice or not. If Verizon *had* been willing to settle for a percent of Vonage's income, they wouldn't try to keep Vonage from getting new customers. It's clear they want them for dinner, not as partners or even serfs paying up some huge tithe.

When the big fish, Vonage, is all eaten up, Verizon's lawyers will doubtless cast their nets into the Internet ocean to sweep up the remaining small fry. The irony is, the more customers you sign up, the bigger the damages Verizon can sue for when they finally file suit. Maybe it was

formatting link
(-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

more respect that way.

Maybe from you...

Reply to
Frank Olson

Not that anyone's remotely interested except spammers . . .

Looks like they got a reprieve at the appellate level, only because the ruling would have effectively killed them and everyone knew it:

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.