RF white paper

The 25dB attenuation value may be true for certain types of walls or materials, but should not be attached to distance (which could be free space).

I recall one site I tested where the plate glass doors in some underground mall entrances were worth 25 dB of attenuation. When the doors were open,

900 MHz signals would pass and cellular service worked on the other side. As the doors closed, the calls would drop.

The white paper does outline the difficulties with RF in a chaotic, uncontrolled (unlicensed) environment. Their symptoms described are important to many unlicensed bands. Do you really want to have Bluetooth and WiFi in the same house at the same time? Buyer beware.

I wonder if their optimism for Echelon would hold true for other PL technologies... like Insteon... etc.

RF Dude

Reply to
RF Dude
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

There are several academic studies that confirm the 25dB reduction as distance doubles.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I believe they gave the figures for free space and stated that the 25dB figure was for the typical indoor environment. There were studies done at Ohio State which gave much the same averages.

I doubt that Echel>The 25dB attenuation value may be true for certain types of walls or

Reply to
Dave Houston

Sure, there are any number of coatings or additives in the glass that would end up blocking RF signals. I've got a sunroom that's practically a faraday cage due to the windows. Open the door or a window and WiFi and cell services greatly improve.

It's interesting to see echelon making noises again. The fear of zigbee must be pretty strong. Is anyone making residential devices using echelon stuff?

Reply to
wkearney99

I think they've concentrated on Europe and industrial markets. An Italian electrical utility uses their technology for meter reading. One of Echelon's press releases says, "Italy is one of the largest markets for LonWorks based devices and automation networks in the world. Enel S.p.A., the Italian utility, has installed over 10 million LonWorks based electricity meters in Italian homes. Merloni S.p.A., Europe's third largest appliance manufacturer, markets the Ariston Digital line of LonWorks enabled appliances in Italy."

Unless things have changed recently I think their technology is too costly to have much residential market penetration in the US.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.