reterive status of x10 devices using c#

Hi I am working on a c# 2005 project using SDM [from smarthome]. My PC is connected to powerlinc controller through USB. I have one x10 pro device that is connected to a lamp module. I want to query the status of the lamp module [On/Off] so i have tried sendX10 "A1, Status Request" but it does not work Any idea/alternative for this Thanks

Reply to
arnie
Loading thread data ...

I'm not sure what you mean by "one x10 pro device that is connected to a lamp module" but assume that your lamp module is A1 and it's connected directly to the powerline. Not all X-10 made lamp modules respond to Status Request. It's been a long time since I worked with this but IIRC only the

2-way lamp module responds. I don't know the X-10 Pro model designation but the X-10 un-Pro version is LM14A.

If you are just starting out, you should consider using Smarthome's lamp modules, etc. Many of them respond to Status Request with a Preset Dim code indicating their current level. They also send this automatically any time there is a change in the state of the device, reducing the need to query.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks for your reply Yes i am newbie in this field. Is there no alternative to query using other functions available in sdm3 dll or any combination of command. Please help Thanks once again

Reply to
arnie

I have no idea what sdm3.dll is.

It's a matter of the hardware. If the X-10 module or switch does not support Status Request you can query from here to eternity using whatever protocol or dll you like but you'll never get a reply just as you cannot carry on a verbal conversation with a mime.

Unfortunately, I don't think the documentation for the various modules lists which commands they respond to so the only way to know is to ask here where others have learned these details through experience.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Unless you tell us the model numbers of your lamp module and other X10 components, any attempt at giving you advice is a waste of everybody's time.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Thanks for the reply It is an X10 pro lamp module with model LM465.A lamp is connected to it. I am sending commands through powerlinc v2 controller [USB] via the smarthome device manager. I have also seen the back side of lamp module where it is not mentioned that it is two way or not, how can i know whether it is 2-way or not. Tell me one more thing if an x10 pro is two way what event it will fire when queried for status request. Though supply frequency mentioned on it is 60Hz but i am using 50Hz The ON/Off commands are working for this lamp module Thanks once again

Reply to
arnie

The LM465 is the standard lamp module. It does not respond to Status Request.

For the few X-10 made modules that do respond (LM14A, AM14A, RR501), the response only reflects the state of the module not the state of the load. For example, the lamp may still have a defective or missing bulb.

What line voltage are you using at 50Hz?

As I noted in my earlier response, many of the Smarthome made modules and switches respond to Status Request and to state changes by sending Preset Dim codes indicating the actual level. This is the actual level of the load not just of the module.

Reply to
Dave Houston

The LM465 is only a receiver - there's no provision for it to transmit its status.

The X10 LM14A (X10Pro PLM21) will respond with a Status_On or Status_Off signal when it receives a Status_Request. It will also respond with an Extended_Status_Ack when it receives an Extended_Status_Request. The data byte in the Extended_Status_Ack indicates the brightness level (0-62) and whether the bulb is functional. See

formatting link
Two-way lamp modules from Smarthome generally respond to a Status Request with the brightness level (1-32) encoded in an X10 Preset command (functions 0x0A or 0x0B) or Off.

(Both the X10 and Smarthome two-way status responses require some minor bit-twiddling to extract the brightness levels.)

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Supply voltage is 110V Currently i do not have LM14A device. The SDM3 exposes certain events for X10 like

1-OnX10eventhandler 2-OnX10AddressEventHandler 3-OnX10CommandEventHandler 4-OnX10ExtendedEventHandler So making use of all these event for LM14A [a guess from your side] which event will fire as a result of status request/ON/OFF commands Thanks arnie
Reply to
arnie

The LM14A sends its Status_On and Status_Off responses with no preceding Address signal. So it would be received the same as an All_Lights_On or All_Units_Off signal from a plug-in controller. From your description I suspect this would actuate the CommandEventHandler or maybe both the eventHandler and CommandEventHandler. But I'm unfamiliar with the software so can't say for sure.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Single phase or 3-phase? The Powerlinc will send only to the one phase into which it is plugged. Other PLC interfaces (e.g. CM11A) will send to all three phases but do so based on 60Hz timing which will not work with your

110V/50Hz power.

Anand Dhuru, who has done quite a bit in designing and modifying X-10 modules to work in your country, might be able to suggest other possibilities.

Reply to
Dave Houston

You are right. I have a couple of insteon devices also connected in the circuit but they are not working [owing to the 50Hz factor] so i switched to x10 devices for the time being. I am making use of 2 single phases [110V/50Hz] and PLC is connected in one phase. There are also two signal linc present in each phase

About Anand Dhuru:- where can i contact this person?

Thanks once again

Reply to
arnie

while querying LM14A [one that i do not have currently] will the response also contains the address [house code+unit code] of the device that is responding to our query so that we know from which device the status is being received Arnie

Reply to
arnie

No, you will only get "Housecode Status On" or "Housecode Status Off". However, with extended codes, you can get a response from the LM14A that identifies the device.

I will repeat my earlier suggestion that many of the Smarthome made Lamplincs and Switchlincs will respond to Status Request with the actual level as well as report all changes.

formatting link
They can all be configured to respond to X-10 signals.

Reply to
Dave Houston

If Anand is currently monitoring CHA, you may get a response here. Otherwise, I do not have current contact information.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hey Dave, thanks for mentioning my name.

Ernie, I am in Mumbai; you can contact me at snipped-for-privacy@vsnl.com

Regards,

Anand

Reply to
Anand

please suggest a simple extended message that i can use for x10 devices thanks for giving info about anand

Reply to
arnie

I do not use Smarthome's device manager software so I cannot help with formatting the extended message. The user manual for the Powerlinc Model

1132B lists ASCII commands for all codes but I have no idea whether the same codes will work with the Powerlinc V2.

You need to be aware that only a very few X-10 made modules use extended codes (LM14A & AM14A) along with some Leviton switches (maybe, I don't keep up with these details). So far, none of the modules you have mentioned can use extended codes,

This is why I keep mentioning the Smarthome made Lanplincs and Switchlinc modules. I think all current models respond to a Status Query with a preset dim code indicating the actual level. They also transmit anytime there is a change of state (e.g. bulb burns out, lamp is switched off) so your software can keep an up-to-date state table for all devices.

If you are just getting started, now is the time to learn these details so you do not accumulate modules that have limited utility.

Another potential advantage of the *linc products is that they can do X-10 or Insteon or both although I'm not sure how the Insteon mode will work on

50Hz - I suspect they cannot adapt to anything other than the 60Hz for which they are designed.
Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.