remote control for my computer

I have been trying to figure out ways of remotely initializing macros on my computer. There are remotes that are made for that purpose but they are too bulky and have far more buttons than I need. I need a very compact remote with no more than 10 programmable buttons. At this point I will probably need to use either WinLIRC or Girder to interface with the type of remote I am needing. Which of these two programs would be better and would they be compatible with this remote and IR receiver:

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
dmehling
Loading thread data ...

Both of those are RF not IR but Girder should be able to handle the MR26A serial output.

Reply to
Dave Houston

If both of those devices are RF does that mean they are probably compatible with each other? Also, how complicated are the codes or whatever you want to call it that are transmitted by RF? I would like to write a program in Visual Basic that could take the input from the serial port to execute different macros.

Reply to
dmehling

Yes, they are compatible.

The MR26A outputs a 2 byte header, 2 data bytes and a 1 byte footer. The details are given here...

formatting link

In hexadecimal, it's always .

Reply to
Dave Houston

One thing I missed was that you want "programmable" buttons on the remote. The KR22A allows you to assign an X-10 address (from a set of 256) to the first set of buttons. The next 3 sets automatically follow in sequence and the last set (Dim/Bright) send codes that depend on which address was assined to the first pair. While I suspect it will do what you want, the button "progammability" is extremely limited.

ftp://ftp.x10.com/pub/manuals/kr22a-is.pdf

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.