Recommendation for distributed IO

Hi - I'm looking for recommendations for inexpensive distributed IO boards for home automation. I'd like to monitor and control a few points around the house. I'm thinking of remote IO boards that talk serially to a central control board (or maybe just a central linux box). I've seen a few IO boards here and there, with not too bad prices (around $50 US). However, they tend to have a lot of IO per board. Is there something out there that is even smaller and cheaper? Let's say 1 to 4 IO points per board, connected in a daisy chain. Thanks.

Reply to
wdoe999
Loading thread data ...

Check out the 1-wire stuff from Maxim. It can be done with only a usb port on the server, and many (cheap) devices are availible for monitoring/control...

The usb->1-wire device is ~$20, but you need to do some programming. I'm currently controlling/monitoring about 20 points with this

See www dot eclipsehomeauto dot com

email me at homeauto at eclipsehomeauto dot com

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

Reply to
AZ Woody

The 1-wire suggestion is good. Also see RS-485.

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.