re:Smarthome Insteon Translator

A couple of months ago I suggested that Smarthome offer an X10 to

> Insteon translator to work with "legacy" controllers like the Stargate > and sent them messages to that effect. Happily, they have announced > just such a product that will be available soon. > ... > I am looking forward to its release and I think this will be the item > that sways me toward Insteon as opposed to UPB or Zigbee.

Bruce,

It is my understanding that this device will not be made. Just curious what you were loooking to do with this translator.

I mean all Insteon switches have an x-10 address, so were you wanting to control your legacy X-10 products from Insteon?

Reply to
Brett Griffin
Loading thread data ...

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Yes,

That one, it is my understanding they are not going to manufacture this. If you notice it only says beta sold out sorry.

So back to my question is merely to understand Insteon better. All Insteon device can respond to an X-10 signal right?

What would the translator do? What would the need be if the devices already receive an X-10 signal?

Or am I misunderstanding Insteon?

Reply to
Brett Griffin

They also say, "As a thank you for your help and support Smarthome will provide you with a free upgrade to the final product."

There are thousands of users of HAI, HomeVisi>Yes,

Reply to
Dave Houston

Only if setup to support X10 and Insteon.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

No, just the opposite. I want to control the Insteon units from an X10 controller but using the Insteon technology - not in the X10 mode. I think the missing piece for you is that Insteon switches can be configured to be Insteon compatible OR (not AND) act as standard X10 modules. A switch set in the default Insteon mode will NOT respond to X10 commands without the translator converting X10 to Insteon. If set up as an X10 switch, one looses all the benefits of Insteon technology

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.