Re: Additional X10 data points

In the last discussion of Insteon there was a question as to if the

> X10 would perform better, in my home, if I had an amplified repeater. > The answer is yes. I installed a Signalinc Repeater (3-WIRE DRYER) and > the B phase now sees a much stronger signal , as expected. The signal > is pretty much on par with the Insteon signals. There is one severe > black hole where the X10 signal drops to less than .1 p-p. I'm going > to move one of the Insteon lamp modules there in a few weeks and see > how well it works. With the above repeater the X10 Lamp module (in the > black hole) works but it kills light bulbs pretty quick compared to > not having the device on a module. Hopefully the Insteon will work > well and allow the light bulbs to live a little longer. I'll also be > replacing a garage X10 wall switch (the dimable, cheap and ugly one) > with an Insteon wall switch. The old switch had the same problem with > bulbs and has been very unreliable (can't turn it on but can turn it > off, even though the signal strength is now above 1v pk-pk).

I'm surprised to hear of your problem with light bulb longevity. I have a number of ordinary incandescent light bulbs connected to X10 wall switches and lamp modules. They're on daily from dusk to dawn, dimmed about 10% from max, and only rarely need replacement. I think some have been running for 2-3 years or more.

What's the usual power line voltage at your house? (Mine usually runs between 120-125 V.)

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan
Loading thread data ...

Your experience with bulb longevity on X10 dimmers is exactly opposite to mine. Certainly vibration can be a big factor with any incandescent bulb and there have been reports of noticeable "buzzing" with some lamps on dimmers.

Could your experience have anything to do with bulb orientation? Most of the lamps controlled by X10 dimmers at my place have the bulbs in socket-side down orientation. I know that some bulbs are rated only for socket-side down or horizontal orientation, and wonder if perhaps _all_ bulbs are more susceptable to earlier failure if operated socket-side up. I assume the difference has something to do with the effect of heat on the glass-metal seal where the wires go through the glass.

BTW, most of the X10 wall switches and dimmers at my place are Radio Shack branded and were installed ~ 1997. One wall switch failed and was replaced about 2 years ago. Lighting is controlled primarily by timed macros and remotes - wall switch push buttons are rarely used.

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Unless you have some very weird power situation (which I can't imagine), the only other thing I can think of is vibration - either external or some self-resonance of the filament. Have you tried different brands or styles of bulbs? (Clear bulbs let you see how the filament is mounted and it can vary markedly.)

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.