Problem with DSC PC2550 alarm system

We inherited a very old security system when moving into our older home 3 y ears ago. Initially, everything worked fine. Over the past year or so we have had trouble with the alarm going off at random times (usually in the m iddle of the night... of course!). When I pushed *2 it said that our troub le codes were 1 (defective stand-by battery) and 8 (loss of time on system clock).

We powered down the entire system (unplugged backup battery for replacement along with the transformer). We got a new battery and when we powered eve rything back up, the alarm went off. We quickly entered the master code an d it went off. Then I reset the time/date/clock. When checking *2 we had no trouble codes.

Now we seem to have a new problem... on the keypad, the zone 8 diamond is l it up and our Memory light is on. I believe zone 8 is our fire zone. Our system IS NOT armed and when we open any door, the full house alarm goes of f (not the door chime) just once. So, when we press *3 it will show the va rious doors that we have gone out that set off the alarm. I have tried pre ssing # to reset the Memory on the panel. I am at a loss as to why the ala rm would go off when we open any door. Has anyone heard of this?

At this point, I'm just trying to get the Ready light on so we can arm/disa rm and reset the system and get the alarm to stop sounding when we open doo rs. I can't even get to that point. Does anyone have any light they can s hed on this situation? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Reply to
dayna.karas
Loading thread data ...

Sounds like zone 8 is programmed as a fire zone. Question is, are your doors hooked up to a burg. zone? Did you move zones around while messing with it? You need to have someone stand by the keypad and make sure a burg. zone faults when you go around opening doors/windows. Then set off a smoke detector to make sure it works.

I advise you consult a professional since you are (possibly) relying on system smokes to protect you. At least buy battery operated smokes and put them in each hallway with a bedroom door, and one inside each bedroom. Interlocked ones are even better (they all sound if one gets tripped).

Reply to
G. Morgan

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.