Prewiring for future lighting automation

I'm in the middle of building a house and don't have time to figure out what I want to do for lighting automation. I am planning on running each light fixture and each switch to a junction box in the basement and do the interconnects there. Then, in a year or so when I can spend some time on the automation part and figure out the system I will use I'll have the circuits available for connecting/reconnecting.

The question I have is what, if any, control wiring to install to each fixture and/or switch location? Would cat5 or cat6 do? Or, would I need larger wires? Would control wiring to just the switches do?

Thanks, Greg

Reply to
fsgkme
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Charlie Derk

Thanks for the replies.

I've taken a quick look at some of the products and it looks like, at a minimum, cat5 to all switch locations.

On top of that I'll probably run a 2-wire or 4-wire cable to the switch locations for future audio.

I welcome more comments >

Reply to
fsgkme

As I recall GE was selling centralized "modern day lighting control" in the

1950s although I don't think they offered dimmers then.

My list wasn't >I'm surprised that you didn't include

formatting link
After all, I think they're the ones that invented modern day lighting

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.