poor man's IO?

I'm aware of that one can use a gamepad or joystick to provide a "poor man's I/O interface" for input signals. But how about output relay closures? What's available with a USB interface that would lend itself to being used for controlling switches, presumably with external relays? I'm thinking of using something like this for handling stuff like the 12v signalling question posed in another thread. I'm not insisting on taking the cheap way out but would prefer to find something in the sub-$50 range. Perhaps with at least 8 outputs?

Suggestions?

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99
Loading thread data ...

There's a parallel port relay board available at

formatting link
- 8 relays. They also have a serial version at around $60, iirc.

The parallel port one is actually very simple, and you can find plans for an equivalent all over the 'net, and in a number of books. Basically, an optoisolator, transistor, and a relay.

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Well, with USB to RS-232 adapters being $14-$15 plus shipping, it would seem like you could pick your favorite inexpensive RS-232 relay board to go with it...

formatting link

Reply to
Gary Peek

The parallel port board cited is only $35 assembled.

formatting link
The same source has a USB I/O board (w/o relays) for just under $50 in kit form. You'll pay far more for anything that's USB, assembled, with relays. That may change now that the $5 Silicon Labs CP2102 chips are available.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

The devices at

formatting link
may work for you. They are available on their own from
formatting link
and are bundled with the Digital I/O Commander at
formatting link
and Home Domination at
formatting link
The USBmicro web site has sample/example programs for using the U401 and U421 devices.

The devices support 16 I/O lines, SPI for I/O expansion or interfacing to SPI devices (D/D, serial pot, etc), stepper motor control, LCD interfacing, and support for Dallas

1-wire devices.

-Rob

Reply to
Rob

snipped-for-privacy@whocares.com (Dave Houston) wrote: I wasn't aware that Silicon Labs now has a version of their USB chip with 4 GPIO ports.

formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

The least expensive RS-232 solution (not USB) I know of uses the 74LV8153 which is in stock at

formatting link
for $1.58 each. This is a single IC solution for RS-232--> 8-Bit discrete output using one IC and a few passive components.

Writeup and schematic here:

formatting link

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
Marc F Hult

If you have a parallel port, the below two links ares about as simple as you can get doing some I/O. Bottom link is a serial board which you could use via USB to serial adapter.

formatting link

Reply to
Si Ballenger

I got some of these chips a good while back from TI, but wasn't successful in getting them to work. I'll try the schematic wiring and the exe program to see if I can get them going now. Using some cheap 74hct259 latching chips, one should be able to get ~120 individually controllable output lines per 74LV8153 chip.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

When I first saw the article (in hard copy), I was struck by the fact that it was needed at because it is possibly the simplest application. It's need comes from the fact that the TI application doc is at best sparse with explanation.. The article I referenced is a bit better and makes clearer the design implications of the IC's low-input-voltage application and shows a handy way to provide two different Vcc's.

Marc Marc_F_Hult

Reply to
Marc F Hult

The demo exe program is vey helpful for understanding the byte protocol used by the chip. The fact that it will operate at the lower 4800bps means it might be able to be connected to the very inexpensive RF chips for wireless control. Also should make for easy and inexpensive web controlled applications.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

The following are not in the sub$50 range, but interesting nonetheless.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.