pc to lcd TV connectivity

need to connect pc to lcd tv. currently using a vga cable to carry video and pc speakers for sound output.

graphics card has a dvi port. can i use this to output video+sound using a DVI/HDMI cable?

formatting link
my gfx card:
formatting link

Reply to
becktonglobe
Loading thread data ...

No. DVI won't carry sound. You'd need a video card that has an audio input connector on it and an HDMI output port. The video card would then combine the audio with the video and send it along together over HDMI.

Does the TV not have audio inputs? Use those in conjunction with a DVI video cable.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Seems there should be a dvi+dig-audio to hdmi cable... And the reverse as well (of course it wouldn't support hdcp, oh well).

sdb

Reply to
sylvan butler

There are video adapters, but I've yet to see anything that breaks out the audio too. Probably because of the handshaking issues. That and you'd then need to convert the digital audio signal into one of the other forms. I don't know that the raw bits can be converted with just simple electronics. But HDMI audio is pretty poorly supported on computer systems. I've yet to come across much that can fully utilitize what can be sent over the HDMI link. Most of the time it's the same data as would be sent over SPDIF.

Reply to
Bill Kearney

electronics.

Take a look at:

Asus M2A-VM HDMI: AM2 mATX motherboard

"Displays can be connected via HDCP-compliant HDMI, DVI, VGA, component, S-Video, and even composite out. The 690G chipset also supports a less-publicized feature known as SurroundView, which allows the Radeon X1250 graphics chip to not only provide dual simultaneous displays, but also to operate in tandem with a dedicated video card to provide four displays at once."

formatting link
Asus also has a number of other HDMI enabled motherboards that have recently appeared on the market with many more features such as the P5E-VM HDMI:

formatting link
I will probably be getting one or the other when I bite the bullet and build a Vista-capable machine.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.