Passing Caller ID through non-CID aware PBX?

why not just plug a caller ID unit into the phone line before the pbx? and run that to where you need the caller ID. or do you need it at all 12 places?

Reply to
joe
Loading thread data ...

I have an old NuTone PTX-1200 home PBX (2x12) that has worked well for years. Unfortunately, it was designed before Caller ID (and other popular new phone company features) and it will not pass the signal.

Now, as I understand it, CID sends the info on a data burst before the phone rings for the first time. My idea is this: to build a device that will monitor the main phone line, sense the CID data burst and will "inject" it on the line(s) to the phone(s) without going off-hook and preventing the PBX from handling the call. Each phone extension line (which normally is connected just to a card inside the PTX-1200) would also be connected to this device.

Does this sound feasible? Has anyone heard of the existence of a device like this?

** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **
Reply to
prc1

I wanted the info available from all phones. It kinda defeats the purpose of CallerID if you can't easily access the data.

** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **
Reply to
prc1

It might be better to ask this in a telco or pbx forum. Do those phones have a display on them? Or at you talking about trying to push the signal to standalone CID units inline with them? Unless those phones and that PBX are designed to allow something to "inject" that data it's not going to work. That and most PBX systems don't document those kinds of inner workings.

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.