One more Garage Door / X10 Question

Hi Everyone,

I'm pretty much aware of the basic options for monitoring the open/closed status of a garage door in an X10 HA system. You can chose beetween a sensor that normally open (NO) or normally closed (NC) and hook it up to a powerflash module. If I use a universal module to trigger the dry-contact switch I can detect that event and maintain the open/closed state of the door using whatever software I am using.

But what I'm wondering is if there's a way to get what amounts to a powerflash module that's bi-directional (in the X10 sense of that term) and can be queried for it's state information. I'm trying to avoid having to rely on software to maintain the open/closed state information, since this can add a point of failure to the system, for example:

- There might be a power failure, or my computer might reboot and lose the state table.

- If the Garage Opener has it's own RF opener, and this opener is used to open the door, and I use an NC sensor, this event won't be detected.

- Same as above, someone closes the door but the sensor is NO, no "close" is sent to the powerflash, no X10 event is logged.

It seems logical that someone else has tried to solve this problem before, so I just wanted to post and see if anyone has found a solution to this.

Thanks, as always.

Reply to
Richard S. Smith
Loading thread data ...

I have four doors that I use a DS10a sensor on.

formatting link
) I just replaced the magnet switch with roller ball type switch
formatting link
*1072008ev*&Msb=0&Mkw=107-2008-ev&N=1323038attached ) to the top of the sensor and just stick it all on the inside of the door. When the top section lays back, the switch closes,when it goes vertical, the switch opens. You will need a way to "read" the DS10s, like a W800RF
formatting link
) all code receiver to receive the security type transmissions, but this set up works very well for me. I have picture of it if you would like.

Reply to
Gemini

Reply to
Gemini

The simplest way is to use a Powerflash module to send an X10 signal to a two-way appliance module like the X-10 AM14A or RR501 (restricted to unit 1 or 9 for the latter). The latching relays in the appliance modules maintain their open/closed state in the event of a power interruption.

Smarthome sells (or used to sell) their "iolinc", which is two-way and has 4 inputs. But you need plug-in sensors even for contact closure, and the cost of the unit + sensors is fairly high. I think it may no longer be in production.

Regards, Charles Sullivan

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

quoted text -

Has anyone see the WGL Powerflash product?

formatting link
They also have a new V572RF32 unit available for testing. It works like the original V572 plus it will receive the security codes like the DS10A.

Reply to
jrtrammell

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.