non proprietary stuff

Hello --

Where should I start looking when I want to setup light control (switches, dimmers, relays) using non proprietary hardware?

I'm after a setup with around 12 light points, multiple switches, and integration with my home server (e.g. access via standard protocols to the log and current status of lights). The only thing I found that was not limited to a single vendor was EIB, and that's expensive as hell.

I do not want to use X10 equipment. My electric installation is setup to accomodate signal lines and power lines everywhere. I don't want to transmit signal over power with all its disadvantages. Plus, most X10 equipment is for 110V AC, while I am using 220V AC.

Regards, Marc

Reply to
Marc Gerges
Loading thread data ...

Not proprietary. Not power line control (PLC) Not radio frequency because you want to use signal lines that you have installed

Assuming that you want to be able to _dim_ the lights (not just on-off) , the options I know of are:

Digital: DMX512 which is the universal standard for entertainment lighting (theatre, concert, lightshow etc) and is also used for architectural lighting. Google dmx512 and dmx-512.

Analog: 0-10vdc analog control

There are reasonably priced, commercial dimmers with CE certification/approval hat have _both_ DMX512 and 0-10vdc analog control

One is shown here on my web site:

formatting link

Alternatively one can use conventional solid state relays in a central panel as shown here:

formatting link

The complication/challenge comes with the interface. My solution is a device that (for better or worse) I dubbed ActiveKnob which is explained here:

formatting link
which uses a motorized potentiometer that can be controlled by a home automation control program of rotated by hand. In either case, the knob position always accurately reflects the control voltage.

Open-source DMX512 transceivers with USB interface to a computer can be had these days for as little as $25 if you do some work yourself or $50 all built

formatting link
There are many other home-brew devices

formatting link

Hope This Helps ... from another yet Marc ;-) Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

I should add that the Digital Addressable Lighting Interface (DALI) that is used in architectural and industrial lighting also meets your criteria (if, perhaps, not your budget).

formatting link
DALI is designed to be an evolutionary follow-on to 0-10vdc control.

formatting link
It is of interest (to me at least ;-) that there are Atmel AVR microcontrollers configured to facilitate DALI lighting control.

formatting link
HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Reply to
Dave Houston

This system addresses neither dimming nor the human interface.

There are all manner of homebrew projects like this that can switch lights on and off. If that is all that is needed, one needn't look much further than a 1-wire network There are many commercial sources and one excellent npon-profit one:

formatting link

Both the interface and the AC circuitry become significantly more complicated if dimming is needed.

If an entirely _home brew_ dimming system is OK (as contrasted with _standard_ 0-10vdc analog, DMX512 or DALI that I previously cited) ), there are also other systems that are much better developed than the caraca CAN project. However much fun that might be, it addresses the parts of the system that are/have been trivially solved and not the hard parts -- in my opinion ;-)

Offerings from the Belgian company

formatting link
stand out as one of the more developed homebrew dimming systems.

See their K8006//K8037/k80038 etc modules which are explained here:

formatting link
Their offerings/system also includes a DMX512 dimmer (module K8039) and USB DMX512 interface.

I've used their 0-10vdc analog input AC light dimmer in a commercial application. Works well and much less expensive than a commercial 0-10vdc input puck-style SSR dimmer.

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Gentlemen --

Thanks a lot for your insight - DMX actually is the keyword I needed. Did some googling, checking out your links and am now making up my mind about what I want.

Reply to
Marc Gerges

I'd/we'd be curious to learn what you discover about practical wall-mounted switches/dimmer controls for DMX512. There are many inexpensive solutions for the computer interface, analog inputs and outputs and ac dimmer controls, but not waal-mounted controls. Artistic Licence has something, but extremely expensive. Europeans are more advanced seems to me ...

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Marc --

I'm not yet that far in my plans, but to be honest, I don't see much of a point in having powered rotary knobs or similar setups. The standard interface with an impulse switch seems to work reasonably ok for most people - especially when more complex scenarios will anyways be controlled via light scenes.

cu .\\\\arc

Reply to
Marc Gerges

Hi Marc,

As best I know, and as I wrote before, there *aren't* any "standard interface with an impulse switch", which is why when you responded with "DMX actually is the keyword I needed", I suggested that you let us know what you find out.

Request stands ;-) If you do learn of reasonably priced " standard interface[s]", i.e., wall mounted switches that control DMX512 -- nothing fancy -- please do let us know.

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.