Nokia Tablet

Has anyone here had a chance to demo one of these? I'd be curious if this would be useful in HA applications as a remote control for HomeSeer or other browser based apps.

formatting link

Reply to
jim.griffin
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Dave Houston

I went back and found my first post (May) that said they would ship late this year but that some features (e.g. VoIP) would not be available until next year. It looks like they are meeting their schedule.

Neil Cherry was quite >The article mentions that is should start shipping here in the states next >week.

Reply to
Dave Houston

The article mentions that is should start shipping here in the states next week.

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

On Nokia's site, they mention that there will be an upgrade next year that will include Tablet 2006 software, which will "support additional services, including Internet telephony (VoIP) and Instant Messaging". So it looks like VoIP isn't yet in the feature set.

It still looks like a VERY cool product, though...

Kurt

Reply to
Kurt Delaney

I just stumbled on another news item for that states that shipping is being delayed until January. This is going to be a heck of a device.

Reply to
jim.griffin

It's certainly been one heck of a bit of vapor meanwhile.

Reply to
wkearney99

Hi guys, I am busy but I had to pop in and check what's going on (Wow this place got busy :-). I have the Nokia and it works well, I've been playing with it under Misterhouse and the screen is not too bad, it's nice that it has a zoom (my eyes don't want to focus on anything that small ;-). It works great for bathroom reading and research and has the nice feature that as I read I can listen to internet radio stations at the same time. I have pounded on it and the browser crashes when it gobbles up memory. This causes the device to reboot. AJAX does work under the browser it's just a little weird to deal with because of the touch screen. I haven't added anything major to the apps on the device (I did one upgrade so far). It does go to sleep and I haven't figured out if it can wake up (I should check that with Gaim).I have a lot more to check but I think it's a good replacement for the Audrey, just more expensive and we'll need to port a few apps over to it so we can remote control the N770 like we do the Audrey.. BTW, the reboots are occuring less often with the upgrade. I hope they also change the libraries so that the key functions can be changed. It's a little annoying to work with the browser when certain keys could be doing other useful things.

Battery life non-stop, 3 hours but I've run it for much longer (it goes to sleep until the screen is touched).

Screen is very clear, taping works well (every for this very hyper tapper).

Needs better email app, but I did get it work with Gmail.

Opera is a good browser and I've had very little trouble with sites other than I keep getting pop-ups. Javascript works too.

Sound through the speaker is limited, switch to the headphones and get the real sound quality.

That's all the time I've had so far. I've been busy with the book and I added Insteon to MH (Alpha code, serial only [at this time] and you still need Windows for Insteon/Salad Apps).

Reply to
Neil Cherry

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.