No X-10 in dining room

I just moved into a brand new house. My X10 stuff came along and just plugged in and worked. The only problem is with my dining room. Nothing works in there. Well, almost nothing. I have a chime that did work in that room.

I have a small lamp with an attached lamp module that I can carry around, and I've tested every outlet in the dining room, and other rooms. Only the dining room seems to have any problems.

I initially thought it might be a phase problem with that room, but I added a 4 prong dryer phase coupler. That had no affect other than to stop the chime from working. It was pretty difficult moving the dryer to install it, so I'm not planning on removing it.

Any ideas?

-- Jim

Reply to
JimH
Loading thread data ...

Is there any other electrical device operating on the circuit? I found that my new digital tv caused interference that kept x10 from working in the general area. I purchased a plug-in filter unit and that fixed it.

Reply to
David White

I had one receptical in the middle of a circuit run that would not function with the X10 plug-in units. The next receptical down, and the one before it, worked fairly well. It was checked for bad connections a few times over the years but looked fine.

I concluded there must have been some kind of tuned tank circuit that interfered withe X10 frequencies. I never did solve the problem.

Reply to
Joesepi

One other thought, though unlikely in a dining room is that this circuit is protected by a ground-fault circuit. I have found x-10 to be unreliable on such a circuit.

Reply to
David White

Sorry I haven't responded. Moving into a new house makes for a lot of work.

Unfortunately, there is no GFCI on that room. There are also no other devices in the circuit. It has two lights, and a few empty outlets.

I see that Smart Home sells an X-10 recorder with signal strength. Unfortunately, it is $300.

Thanks for the ideas. If I come up with a solution, I'll post it here. In the mean time, I'm using a mechanical timer for my china cabinet lights.

One more question... How well does mixing X-10 and Insteon work? Can I run them at the same time without interference?

Thanks.

-- Jim

Reply to
JimH

Jim, I have no experience with Insteon so I am afraid I am no help there (not that I have been otherwise).

Can you put a controller unit in the dining room and test to see if X-10 works in a different outlet? I am not sure what this would prove, but it could at least show if X-10 can work at all on that same circuit.

One other thing is that I tried a passive coupler unit on my clothes drier and it didn't help that much. I have heard that the coupler/repeaters work much better.

Reply to
David White

David White wrote: > Can you put a controller unit in the dining room and test to see if X-10

Thanks to your idea, I think I have figured it out.

I attached the X-10 controller to my laptop, and installed the software there. I then hooked it up in the dining room, and plugged in a lamp and module. It worked in the dining room, but could not control modules in the other rooms.

That was when I realized that my dryer is on a sub-panel. When building the house, I went over the 200 amps that the panel provided. I had a choice of digging the power line trench again, and running a bigger cable, along with installing a 400 amp panel. This option would have cost $4,000. I also had the option of adding a 100 amp sub-panel in my laundry room which cost $400. The choice was clear. Now, the dryer is on the sub-panel, and so is the phase coupler. I'd bet that doesn't solve the coupling problem for the main panel.

I suspect the only fix would be to put a phase coupler on the main panel. But, I'm not an expert, so if others know better, I'm open to any input.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and help.

-- Jim

Reply to
JimH

Jim,

Good to have figured this odd one out. I suspect you are correct. I suspect that a phase coupler wired into the main panel will solve your troubles. There was a guy who posts here regularly who's name I cannot recall that makes what I read was a really good unit. I am sorry but I cannot find his site right now. Perhaps a posting with a title like "seeking a wired-in coupler/repeater" would get his attention. Other than that there are some wire-in units at SmartHome. All of these would likely require a bit of electrician's time to get safely and properly installed. But I sense it is not a big effort.

David

Reply to
David White

Reply to
D&SW

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.