Newbie to Home Automation - Need Help

Hello everyone,

I am a newbie to the home automation processand am amazed when reading previous posts in this group. I have recently purchased a home and would like to begin the process.

Here is what I am looking to accomplish:

1. Implement a Panasonic KX-T61610 EASA Phone KSU System Main Cabinet and phones throughout the home.
  2. Implement ethernet cabling throughout the home.
  3. Implement a wiring closet for phone and ethernet.

Panasonic KX-T61610 KSU:

1. At this time, I only have 1 single phone line through Embarq. Currently the alarm system is utilizing this line to call out alarm notifications. Can I utilize the Panasonic system with only the single phone line? If so, can you give me help on wiring to the system and out of the system. Initially, I want the capability to use this line from any phone throughout the home.

1. Phone wiring: I have read several different posts regarding what type of wiring to use for phone and ethernet. Many have said, use ethernet for everything, many have said keep it seperate, thoughts?

Ethernet Cabling

1. I have a high speed connection via Brighthouse and would like to make it accessible via every room in the house.

Thoughts? Ideas?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thank you

Reply to
geemail.email
Loading thread data ...

I'm not an automation expert - but I'm a computer/software/networks expert.. so I will comment on your last item!

When you say _every_ room in the house... are you planning on having PC's/terminals in every room? If not, then I'd suggest wireless. Otherwise, I'd suggest wiring with Cat5 or Cat6 cable (Cat6 to handle future upgrades to gigabit network speeds - this of course depends on the amount of traffic going between PC's/terminals - it'll probably be a while before we see gigabit internet connections!!) I know our systems at work have phone and ethernet on separate networks - I'm sure someone will give you an accurate answer as to why - my guess is that phone equipment uses up a lot of bandwidth?! (Basing that on my work system - where we have 200 people and about 10 external lines!!) ___________________________________ The Grim Reaper

Reply to
The Grim Reaper

There are limits to where you can run wiring in a built home its best to home run wiring when building the house and to simplify things run CAT 6 to PC connections and CAT 5 to Phone connections. Use a Wireless system to fill in areas where you cant or don?t want to have wires.

I plan on using a VoIP system for phones in the new house but a Panasonic system would probably be simpler to keep running. By Home running the wiring I can change systems at a latter date if the VoIP system does not work out.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

I stripped out all the cabling when I recently redecorated, and instead opted for 802.11g wireless LAN and DECT wireless phones.

(DECT and 802.11g use the same frequency range, but I've had no problems at all with them interfering).

I think there would need to be a VERY good reason for using physical cables these days, especially as, unlike a wireless set-up, they are a nightmare to upgrade.

As a compromise, how about a HomePlug system, which uses your house mains wiring to carry your LAN data?

Thack

Reply to
Thack

There you go two people with different opinions on how to implement a LAN/Home Automation system.

It all comes down to spending a little time learning what each technology offers and making a choice. I can say that in my case with years of experience I know that I will be changing lots things probably even installed LAN cables sometime in the next 10 years. Nothing last for ever in a High Tech system.

Ron

Reply to
Ron

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.