Newbe question. Is it possible to control IR devices with a newer laptop?

I am just curious. With just software and the coresponding remote codes for each device, can I use my laptop as a central remote? It is a new Toshiba A70. I program in VB, Java and C so I thought it might be a good learning project to undertake if it is possible.

Thanks

Rev

Reply to
Rev
Loading thread data ...

Your laptop would need some type of IR output hardware to communicate with the desired devices.

Reply to
Si Ballenger

Probably not.

The IrDA IR in the laptop is intended for very short range communication with other IrDA-capable devices. It uses a different wavelength (850nm) than CIR (Consumer IR) which uses 940nm. IrDA is unmodulated while CIR uses modulation (usually 32-40kHz).

That said, many of the UARTs used in the laptops are capable of CIR but you need software that can talk to them directly.

There is >I am just curious. With just software and the coresponding remote

Reply to
Dave Houston

formatting link
Don't be mislead by all the talk about "receiving" IR. It also has transmitter info.

sdb

Reply to
Sylvan Butler

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.