New X-10 whole house music system

Anyone have any "hands on" experience with one of these?

formatting link
"The brains behind the Encore System is the Distribution Hub, featuring DIGI-5 technology, a groundbreaking, end-to-end solution. With DIGI-5 technology, Analog audio signals are converted to a high quality 24-bit digital format at the Source Input Wall, delivering high quality digital audio from multiple sources to different rooms."

I would like to have an RF whole house audio system if it can deliver without buzzing and scratching but the ad copy leaves too much unexplained (at least for me, and maybe because I'm dense!). So I am looking for anyone who's used this system either before or after X-10 started selling it. Anyone know a better or cheaper place to buy?

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

Well, yes, it does leave too much unexplained and I guess the most unexplained is how they managed to not mention once that this is NOT a wireless system. The remote controls are (IR?) but not the actual sound distribution / power for amplification.

As far as I can tell, DIGI-5 is a newer take on the old (non-digital) A-Bus technology

formatting link
formatting link

They both require CAT5 cables for distribution of the audio signal / power.

I don't have experience with DIGI-5 but I am using A-Bus throughout the house and it's great - I love it. And if you use A-Bus, you can get away with something like $120 worth of equipment (CAT5 cable and the speakers extra, just like with the DIGI system) for 1 source to 4 rooms or something like $300 for 4 sources/4 rooms. Look up Channel Vision A-bus devices on e-Bay, they are (or at least used to be) the cheapest and I sourced the entire system from eBay. I don't remember the actual costs from 3 years ago but it was negligible compared to speakers / cable / installation

Good luck!

------------------------------------- /\_/\ ((@v@)) NIGHT ():::() OWL VV-VV

Reply to
DA

Don't know anything about it but I bought this about 5 years ago

formatting link
It has connections for 6 separate speaker systems/volume controls. I hook my stereo up to it and my computer, CD/DVD, radio and tape player are all hooked up to the stereo. Works great, no buzzing or scratching. You need to wire everything up though. Only cost $150. Thats what I paid

6/2006. Still the same price, and I am very happy with it.
Reply to
Jack Stein

You are right to be suspicious, they make claims that are at best silly, like "better than CD sound quality". That is deceptive, as you cannot add quality to an audio signal, it can never be any better than the source so it wouldn't matter if their system was 24-bit or 48-bit, it's not going to sound any better than a 16-bit CD. Once a company establishes that they are willing to fling manure like that I find it very hard to trust anything else they have to say.

Reply to
DGDevin

This is "X-10" the pioneer in pop up and pop under adds. They're the reason browser pop up blockers have become a necessity.

I wouldn't buy an X-10 product under any circumstance.

Reply to
despen

I told them that with my last order about 15 years ago.

I have and will not ever order from them again.

-----------

I wouldn't buy an X-10 product under any circumstance.

Reply to
Josepi

formatting link
>

Certainly less expensive than the X-10 deal. I'll give it a look since that's really all I need..

Thanks for your input!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

That's certainly your choice. If not them, then someone else would have been the king of pop-unders. I was already well into the X-10 line when they decided to go "Pop Pop" crazy.

If it's any consolation, I hear they are finally going bankrupt and part of that is because they failed to pay the software developers who created pop-unders for them. There is justice in the world after all!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Ive had x10 for 25 years and one thing i can guarntee about x10, poor quality products is something they dont care about, the easiest cheapest whole house music is apple air play going through Airport Express, ive just set up 4 in my house.

Reply to
ransley

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.