Need input: Wierd Powerflash behavior

I've updated my home theater with a new A/V processor that has 3 trigger voltage outputs. I installed three amplifiers for the theater in my basement, and these do not have trigger inputs. They do have hard on/off switching with a rocker switch on their front panels. I had the idea of hooking up X10 Pro PSC01 Powerflash interfaces to the trigger outputs, then plugging each amp into an appliance switch. When the preamp turns onand the PSC01's are in the proper setup modes (Input: voltage, operating mode: C) the PSC01s send an "on" command as they're getting +12 VDC on their inputs and the amps turn on. When the preamp turns off, the voltage goes away and the PSC01s send an "off" signal. The amps then go off. Simple, right?

Yes and no. The PSC01's are plugged into an outlet strip that's plugged into the same outlet that the amps (and their appliance modules) are plugged into. Everything's on the same phase and side of the breaker panel. The amps will turn on A-OK, but will not turn off.

Troubleshooting: I've used the TEST buttons on the PSC01s, and everything turns on and off as it should. I've used a mini controller and can manually turn the amps on and off with no problem. I've used an handheld RF controller and again, everything works. The appliance modules will respond to the "All lights off" command just fine. I've measured the voltage at the PSC01's inputs. The +12VDC is switching on and off as it should.

So, why would the Off commands not be transmitted, or why wouldn't the appliance modules respond if it were being transmitted? What else could I try to isolate the problem?

** To respond, remove the crap from my addy... **
Reply to
prc1
Loading thread data ...

I figured out the problem--it's a data collision. When the preamp powers up, there's a 1-second delay between the A & B trigger outputs so everything turns on. However, when the power goes OFF, there's no delay. Both PSC01s send a code-specific off command and they collide--thus nothing gets turned off.

There's no adjustment in the preamp to delay the trigger outputs on power off, so how could I implement a power delay for the input voltage on one of the PSC01s? Would an electrolytic cap across the inputs give enough delay? And, when I install a thrid PSC01 later I'll need to delay it's power off even longer...

Reply to
prc1

| I figured out the problem--it's a data collision. When the preamp | powers up, there's a 1-second delay between the A & B trigger outputs | so everything turns on. However, when the power goes OFF, there's no | delay. Both PSC01s send a code-specific off command and they | collide--thus nothing gets turned off. | | There's no adjustment in the preamp to delay the trigger outputs on | power off, so how could I implement a power delay for the input | voltage on one of the PSC01s? Would an electrolytic cap across the | inputs give enough delay?

Yes, possibly, but this all seems unnecessarily complicated. Why not use a single PSC01 and handle any sequencing (do you really need it at all?) on the far side.

If you do try a capacitor you should probably add a blocking diode.

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

There's a current sensing AC outlet for use with stereo systems, etc. called "CCS-4". Following is a link to a store that sells them. I don't know this company so due diligence but the product looks suitable and the price isn't much.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hi Dan, and thanks for the reply.

Yes, sequencing is necessary. I have four stereo amps to handle the seven channels (and will probably add a fifth amp to the stack for the sub). Depending on the peramp's mode I wanted to switch amps on and off to conserve power. Each amp at max output pulls 8 amps.

I thought I might have to build some sort of power sequencing box at the amp end, set off by a trigger from the preamp. However I didn't want to get into that (every one of my projects seems to involve some sort of jerry-rigged solution these days!) and thought X10 might be the least-expensive but reasonable solution. I've looked at some off-the-shelf triggered outlets (like Mr. Bass recommended) but these are typically > $150.00 and only do one or two outlets.

Reply to
prc1

Robert,

Thanks for the suggestion. I'd looked into similar products but was turned off by the price. I think these are > $150.00, and I'd need three to start.

Reply to
prc1

It sounds like the power supplies of the amps are jamming the signal from the PF module. That would account for why they turn on but not off. Have you tried different house codes or unit codes? Also don't let the fact that a handheld does shut them off. I have had that problem many times when my CM11 would not activate something yet my RF transceiver will. Also if your equipment includes an LCD or Plasma set those Power Supplies are extremely troublesome to X10 signals. Actually I have that condition with a lamp module close to me Samsung LCD.

Hope this helps, Ron

Reply to
Ronbo

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I decided to try the capacitor approach and (Thanks Dan!) added a blocking diode. A 2200 uF gives me an ~ 22 second delay, eliminating the X10 signal collision. I'm going to try using a smaller cap for a shorter delay and I think that'll do it. MUCH simpler than writing a program for the HCS to watch for the off signal, then sequence the turn off of the amps via software. :)

Reply to
prc1

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.