Need help with Sockets, using Mister House

Hello,

Please excuse the newbie question...

I want to send the word "Mail" over the Ethernet to IP address

192.168.1.123 on Port 2101.

I searched the MH Docs to no avail...

I looked at various code examples, and tried many things. I can't get it right!

The code I use now looks like this:

# Window/Door sensor items

if ($state = state_now $Mailbox_sensor) { $state = "open" if ($state =~ /^alert/i); $state = "closed" if ($state =~ /^normal/i); print_log "Mailbox's front door is now $state";

if ($state eq "open"){play(`file` => "GOTMAIL.wav")} }

I'm using an X10 DS10A embedded into the door of my new plastic mailbox.

Here is a picture:

formatting link
I have an Elk M1 panel. It can listen to port 2101 on the Ethernet...

I want Mister House to trigger the mighty M1, via Ethernet in this manor.

Can anybody help?

I'm such a newbie I may need you to show me where to insert it into my code, too.

Just get one "(" in the wrong place, or forget a "}" and you're not getting there!

Been doing alot of head scratchin. Please help!

Thankx, in advance!

Jack :)

Reply to
Jack Edin
Loading thread data ...

Mr. Bass,

Thanks for the reply. I filled-in a form, asking a (different) question on your website. Been a few days, and still no reply there. Guess this is a better place to ask!

Yes the mighty M1 can send and receive X10 signals directly.

It can NOT, however, receive or understand X10 security like the DS10A.

So Mister House will sit in the middle.

I can make Mister House send a regular X10 on/off to any unit/housecode I want. Except right now I only have the W800RF32A connected, and no PLC. I'm hoping somebody will someday write a module for the PowerLinc II 1132B PLC device...

And the M1 can hear the X10 command, above, and act. I know this.

Did YOU know...?

The mighty M1 can take text directly in it's serial port? So if I had RS-232 between the Mister House PC and the M1's serial port... I could send text messages from Mister House, and the M1 can respond using the rules I would need to write, etc.

Unfortunately I have the Ethernet adapter for my M1. This means the serial port is used.

And I can buy an additional serial port of the M1, I don't see the need.

Because it's on Ethernet and connected to my LAN, it IS connected to the Mister House PC..!

It is listening in it's IP address, port 2101 for serial data as if the ethernet thing was transparent.

I've already written a rule for the M1, and it's awaiting Text Input. If/when it sees "Mail" it'll trigger that rule.

But wait! Theres more...

Elk has written a protocol for their M1's serial port. And if somebody will write a Mister House module for this, we'll be in like flint!

Here is the link:

formatting link
With this in place, Mister House could send it's X10 output through the M1, for example.

So I still need a Mister House coder's help...

Robert L Bass wrote:

Reply to
Jack Edin

Given you've already selected an X10 transmitter to indicate the mailbox door has been opened, I wonder why you don't just sent the X10 signal to the ELK M1 Gold and let the control handle the rest.

The M1 Gold can handle 2-way X10 signals. Just write a rule in the M1 saying "Whenever [mailbox open] do [whatever]"

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks for explaining your needs more fully. I can see how this functionality would be of use to many of my clients. I'll speak to ELK's engineering about it and see if we can't get the X10 security codes added to the M1 protocol.

Your use of the custom string capability of M1 is an excellent idea. While ELK doesn't do tech support for Mister House perhaps one of the other users on the ELK forum or an ELK engineer may be able to assist with the code. I'll inquire about that for you as well.

May I have your permission to copy your article here and forward it?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

My pleasure.

That M1 rocks!

Not gonna happen...

The M1 uses a PLC, like the TW523 two-way power line interface. Thats how it gets it's X10 in and out.

The X10 security codes are all RF to begin with, and aren't found ON the power lines.

So M1'll never see 'em.

Thank you!

There is an Elk forum? Do tell...!

And yes, it will be a community effort. Elk's engineering's resources are stretched... and focused.

Yeah - post to the Elk forum, and lets see what happens!

Be my guest!

FYI: I learned all of this FROM Elk's engineering dept. I spoke to Don and we tested the concept right on the spot. It does work!

Don was happy to hear of another Mister House lover, and suggested I see if I could get Mister House ported to use the M1. He inquired if I knew Mr. House.

I told him "no", but I had a funny story:

While looking around Mister House's files I stumbled upon some phone numbers. Bruce at work, Winter house 1 & 2, etc, etc

"No Waaaay!" I thought. "These can't be real..."

So I dialed Bruce's work number, and his voicemail said it WAS so...!!

Whoops!

So when time came to leave a message, I said "Hi" and identified myself. And mentioned HOW it was I found his number, etc. I didn't want to bug him...

And I quickly erased any thoughts I had of giving him a call at home...

;-)

So "no", I told Don. "I've never actually spoken with him..."

I did promise I would try to rally community help in this matter.

So YES, Mr. Bass... Please do whatever you feel is best...

Sincerely,

Reply to
Jack Edin

Perhaps you missed my earlier suggestion that you post to the Misterhouse-users forum. There was a recent post there by a fellow who's rewritten some code for the DS10A.

Reply to
Charles Sullivan

Yes Chuck, that suggestion was not wasted on me...

I posted the exact same question there first... waited a day plus...

Nobody responded, so I thought I would try my luck here!

I got the DS10A interfaced okay.

For now, it'll play a .wav file...

I want to use my LAN to send a text message to my M1 alarm panel.

This is different, and only DS10A related in the triggering...

Know what I mean?

Thankx,

Reply to
Jack Edin

I've not worked with X10 security stuff.

It's in the ELK Products website at

formatting link
You need a username and password. Call ELK at (828) 397-4200, give them your serial number and they'll let you in. If you run into any "locked doors", contact me and I'll get them opened for you.

The important thing is they are open. Unlike almost every other manufacturer in the alarm industry (their roots) they're willing to help out an end user.

OK. Sadly, the original post is gone from my server. Would you kindly repost it and I'll take it from there?

Heh, heh, heh. :^)

It appears Mr. House and Elk Products have something in common. The founders don't try to insulate themselves from their customers.

I have Wade Moose' cell phone saved in my Nextel phone back in the USA. I can't use it here in this part of Brazil until they finish the cell towers so I can't call him from here. But he's the kind of guy who freely hands out his card, scribbles his cell phone on it and then remembers who the heck you are six months later when you call him about whatever.

I've known Wade for over 25 years. Some of the people working for him a couple of years ago were working for him when we first met -- that despite the fact that he sold his original Moose Products business and started ELK Products ten years later. That says something about the way he treats his staff IMO.

Anyway, please repost the original message and I'll try to get some help. Meanwhile feel free to get access to the dealer forum from ELK as well. There's a bunch of useful stuff in there and it sounds as though you'd be a welcome contributor.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.