Need Door Bell generator for whole house audio

I would like to hook up a door bell generator to the paging input of my whole house audio system. The only thing I really need is something that will generate a "ding-dong" when a contact is closed. I see some kits on the web but I am wondering if anyone has actually done this and what they have used. I am looking to buy this in the USA. I could probably wire up a circuit with an IC but I don't know who sells this stuff retail, like in a Radio Shack or whatever. Please advise. Thanks.

Reply to
Eric
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
Art Todesco

The Elk 930 is a "doorbell and telephone ring detector" module that with open-collector outputs that can be used as digital outputs or to control relays. Each module can be used for two doorbells and one phone line. Elk also has a variety of horns, chimes, and programmable and pre-programmed voice modules that interface directly (no relay needed).

formatting link
... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc F Hult

I think Radio Shack has a 'ding dong' type piezo door bell element. Most every radio shack I've ever walked in to has it hooked up to their door announcer IR beam and when you walk in you hear it go ding dong ding (because the pulse from the IR beam to power the thing is longer than the ding-dong cycle of the piezo element.)

Anyway, since a piezo is just a speaker, I would go to RS, buy one of those, tear it apart, you'll probably see the two lead in wires that take 12VDC and they will go to a circuit board and from there it will probably have 2 wires going to the piezo. I have a hunch that if you just connect the two output wires to the paging input you will get the ding-dong. Now the only trick is to power it for the correct length of time. Probably using a 555 as a pulse stretcher would do it.

Hmm, on second thought, that may be more complex than you want to do. Well, that's the free advice I can think of right off the bat.

Good luck, let us know how you work it out!

Reply to
autonut843

How about a Niles DBI?

Reply to
Paul Dembry

This should do the trick. It's an ELK recordable driver. The URL is on my website:

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Reply to
Art Todesco

I used the page input on my audio system, an amplifier, and a Nutone Chime Module.The parts cost less than $50 and found the instructions on the

formatting link
website. Just search the knowledgebase for "doorbell". You can also purchase the equipment from them. It works great.

Reply to
Patrick Griffin

The Nutone Solution looks great Patrick. Thanks for everyone's input.

Reply to
Eric

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.