Napco Panel, X10 Use, HA Software - HELP!

I currently have a Napco Gemini P816 panel serving as my alarm panel. I also have a GEM-X10 module (which I haven't installed yet) and an always-on PC providing home automation functions. The PC will communicate X10 and Insteon (light fixtures) using a PLC right now, but will eventually support whole-house audio, phone line integration (including voice commands), HVAC tie-in, etc.

All of my doors and windows are wired up to the P816 panel, which, from what I understand supports the GEM-X10 module but does a very poor job of it. The GEM-X10 module seems to appear to the panel as a group of relays, which I believe I can only "trigger" (e.g. send an X10 command to my PC) on EVENT changes. I've viewed the event log (through the serial adaptor add-on and QuickLoader software) and I only see alarm status changes (e.g, Alarm Armed, Alarm Disarmed, Alarm Activated or Deactivated). I don't see any "events" for zone status changes, such as when the front door is opened.

My intent is to be able to monitor each zone to send a command to the PC to make an intelligent HA decision on what to do with it. For example, when the front door is opened, send an insteon command to turn on all the lights on the first floor. Or when a window is opened, turn off the AC unit. Or when the alarm is triggered, blink all the lights in the house (successive commands of "instant on", "instant off").

I believe there are a few ways I can fix this situation, assuming the P816 does not have the capabilities to do what I am trying to do:

1) Replace the panel with a P3200, P9600, or Elk M1G or some other type of panel. Would I need more than a P3200 to do what I am trying to do? I realize a panel like the Elk M1G can automate a lot of the current functions I am planning to do with the PC, but I don't mind having the always-on PC. I believe this would give me more options and capabilities as long as I don't mind having the PC running 24/7/365.

If I did decide to change the panel, is it fairly straightforward? Could I simply "download" the configuration from the P816 through the Quickloader software and "upload" it to the P3200? I have the dealer code, but I'm not sure if configurations can be easily "ported" like this from one model to another.

2) Another option might be to somehow split (y-out) the door and windows contact terminals before they get to the P816 panel into a device such as the Smarthome EZIO 4 Input/2 Output Relay Controller
formatting link
I'm not sure if this would do exactly what I am trying to do though, since I'm not that familiar with the product. Also, I don't know if I would need any additional resistors or if it's even possible to split the contacts into this second device (either in parallel or serial). Assuming I could split the contacts, are there any other devices that can send X10/Insteon or some other HA-software-compatible commands by contact status changes?

Any help or suggestions you can provide are greatly appreciated! Ken

Reply to
kennethwygand
Loading thread data ...

OK - Update. I decided against trying to split the contacts. I think I'm just going to upgrade to the Napco Gemini P3200 panel.

Does anyone know if I can have individual X-10 commands sent for each zone-trigger? For example, send an X10 command when the dining room window is opened (assuming the alarm is not set)? Would this be the "relay follows zone" function described in the manual?

The manual description is as follows:

Relay Control (External Relays) In addition to the three relays provided on the motherboard, up to 24 external relays (8 per RB3008 Relay Module) or X-10 devices (24 per GEM-X10 module) may be controlled from the keypad, by event or by schedule through the use of PCD3000 downloading software. Program these outputs to activate by event on PCD3000 External Relay Control screen, or by schedule on the Event Scheduler screen.

Relay Follows Zone External Relays can be programmed to follow an open or shorted zone. On the PCD3000 External Relay Control screen, program the External Relay to .follow . an open zone, or to .follow. a shorted zone.

Relay / X-10 Mapping It is possible to have a relay or X-10 device activate for multiple events, with a maximum of 24 events. This allows the relay or X-10 device to be activated by multiple events or conditions. This is programmed by assigning or mapping events to relay numbers. PCD3000 must be used to program Relay/X-10 mapping. Referring to the PCD3000 External Relay Control screen, the .Relay / Entry#. column typically indicates the number of the relay which will accept the commands on that line. However, the .Map. column, which is used to transfer the function defined on that line to a device on another line.

Reply to
kennethwygand

Yes, you can. The P9600 can send X10 commands and/or trigger programmable relays for each zone event, area events, system events, user actions and scheduled events. The schedules can be as simple as "5:15 each day" or as complex as "7:45 pm on the third Thursday of each month".

BTW, in addition to scheduling rerlays and X10 commands, the P9600 can schedule auto-arm in case the client forgets to arm his system. It will do much more advanced stuff as well if you want to fool around with the software.

Yes, except that if the X10 (relay) is set to "Follow Zone Open" it will do so regardless if the system is armed.

Yes. You have 96 "code lines" available. Each line can trigger one relay (X10 output) from a single event. By repeating either a relay number or an event type in multiple lines you can control more than one relay per event or control one relay from multiple events.

I've used these features with the Napco P9600 extensively over the years. Systems would arm and disarm on schedule, bypass specific zones and even power down motion and glass break detectors on schedule. This was done to accommodate the needs of Orthodox Jewish clients whose religious observance prohibits them from operating electronic equipment during certain holy days, as well as on the Sabboth (sunset Friday until sunset Saturday).

I designed one system using the P9600 to allow one-way motion in a stairway at night. If someone got up at night and wanted to descend the stairs to reach the kitchen the system would bypass motion detectors until they returned. However, if someone tried to ascend the stairs while the system was armed for the night the alarm would go off immediately.

Another dealer I know used X10 to control a light in the window so that the client could see that the system was armed before they drove away.

On the P9600 you have up to 96 events. That does not include time-scheduled actions. You can create up to 255 scheduled events to control lights in a pseudo-random pattern, heat up the Jaccuzzi at

6:15 each Friday, electronically lock the doors after the exit delay expires or just about anything else you might think of.

The new software is called "Quickloadr for Windows" (that's not a typo; Napco dropped the "e"). You can download the software from my website if you like. It's free. You'll need the Napco PCI-MINI or PCI-MINI-USB to connect your laptop or PC to the panel.

If you need help programming the P9600 give me a call. I'll be glad to walk you through it. Most of the stuff is easy but there are a few items that might not be intuitive to a newbie or DIYer.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Read the OP's response before you "jump in" with information on a panel he isn't even installing... Sheesh... What a maroon!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks Robert.

Do you know if your statements apply to the P3200 panel as well? It's about 25% of the price of the 9600 panel, so if it can accomplish my requirements, I'd rather spend the extra money on light switches. :)

Also, do you know if the Quickloadr software will allow me to upload the config from my P816 to my PC and then simply download it to the P3200 (or P9600)? Does the Quickloadr software take care of any conversion necessary? The reason I ask is because I have my P816 monitored by an alarm company that configured and supports the P816. If I can port all of the settings over to the P3200 without their support, I don't see why they would have a problem with me changing the panel.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
kennethwygand

You're thanking Robert, but responding to me.

Nope. They don't. The 3200 has limited support for HA. The 9600 was built with HA in mind.

As long as you're not intending on initiating tasks any more complex than turning on lights (to a schedule), then you won't have a problem.

I'm pretty sure ou'll have to upload the P816 and print out the data, then "convert" it to the fields for the 3200.

Unfortunately, no.

You'll have to have access to installer level programming as well as the downloading access code and ID before you can do anything with Quickloader. If the company's going to continue monitoring your system, then I would respectfully suggest that they will NOT give you this information. You will more than likely have to employ their services at some point to "migrate" your information to the new control panel. This may also require a site visit to check on your wiring and connections (any responsible alarm provider would insist on this).

Good luck!!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks Frank.

Can I trigger X10 signals based on zone-status changes? Such as when a door opens, send a particular X10 command? That's really all I'm looking to do.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
kennethwygand

Frank - BTW, my last post refers to the P3200 panel. I know it can be done with the P9600 panel, just wondering if zone-changes can trigger X10 signals with the P3200 panel.

Thanks, Ken

Reply to
kennethwygand

The two are similar except for the number of zones, user codes, partitions, events and outputs (relays, X10) supported. For a while Napco stopped supporting their HA interface (not the same as X10) on the P3200 but the current release supports it. The price difference isn't 25% though. The P3200 retails for ~$125 and the P3200 is ~$234.

No. You will create a new "account" (Napco's word for file) for the P3200 or P9600. Don't be intimidated by that though. It's not difficult.

If they haven't locked you out of the P816 you can read the essential data into a file for the P816 and then just type it into the new account. There are only a few data items to be concerned with and any station that supports the 816 will also support the others. They speak the same "language" to the alarm receiver. From the old panel you'll obtain the telephone number(s) of the receiver(s), the account number and the reporting format. Armed with those few items it's a snap to configure the new panel to your station. The P816 has a default programming access code of 456789. If that has been changed you'll need to ask the current station to reset it to that number or tell you the account number, receiver phone number and format.

On the P3200 or P9600 panel you can grant the dealer access to program in their monitoring information for you if they prefer. Just retain the 6-digit code on the label inside the control panel. That will allow you to go in and make changes in the future should you ever decide to do so.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes, the panel can do that easily.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yes. Both panels can do it.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Excellent! Thanks so much Robert!

Reply to
kennethwygand

Robert,

One more question - you mentioned the P3200 had HA support, then didn't, and now does again. Was that based on the firmware version? Do you know what v20 supports?

You sure know a lot about these systems! Thanks for your help! Ken

Reply to
kennethwygand

Robert's already answered your question. The only "barrier" is see you're going to run in to is called the "installer code". If you don't have that, you won't be able to access the level of programming you need.

I hope things work out for you!

Reply to
Frank Olson

Any P3200 from Version 20 up can be upgraded with the GEM-RS232 Kit to work with HA software such as HomeSeer.

You're most welcome. I installed Napco for over 20 years until I sold my alarm company. Now I just sell it to DIYers online but I constantly study manuals and take manufacturer training on various lines to keep myself up to date.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.