My CR230 X10 repeater died

I can't tell you how old it is, at least a couple years. Anyway I opened it up and there's a big blackened spot around what I presume is a zener diode.

So can anyone tell me what normally dies on this thing? the zener? the cap right next to it? An ohm meter says the zener is still acting like a diode, but thats the extent of my testing right now.

I get no lights on the front panel, both fuses check out good, and of course its completely non-functional.

-dickm

Reply to
dicko
Loading thread data ...

In article , snipped-for-privacy@universalclock.com (dicko) writes: | | I can't tell you how old it is, at least a couple years. Anyway I | opened it up and there's a big blackened spot around what I presume is | a zener diode. | | So can anyone tell me what normally dies on this thing?

On mine it was the PC board itself. The traces had lifted and broken. I did replace the capacitor (it didn't look great from the heat) and the zeners (they were functional but hard to solder because of the oxidation). Although the repaired unit worked I wasn't really pleased with the results and I haven't put it back in service yet. (I'm waiting for its replacement to fail...)

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

The capacitor has this clear brown hard goop, like congealed maple syrup, all around its bottom. Is this a leaky cap? Or is it just glue they used to keep it from wobbling? The cap itself says 105 degrees. Other postings I've googled says theirs were 85 degrees.

Even though the board is pretty black, the foils look to be OK. I'm betting that the capacitor died. I'll replace that first.

I have a spare repeater operating so I'm not in a hurry to get this one back in service.

Tnx

-dickm

Reply to
dicko

In article , snipped-for-privacy@universalclock.com (dicko) writes: | | On 17 Sep 2008 03:57:14 GMT, ddl@danlan.*com (Dan Lanciani) wrote: | | >In article , snipped-for-privacy@universalclock.com (dicko) writes: | >| | >| I can't tell you how old it is, at least a couple years. Anyway I | >| opened it up and there's a big blackened spot around what I presume is | >| a zener diode. | >| | >| So can anyone tell me what normally dies on this thing? | >

| >On mine it was the PC board itself. The traces had lifted and broken. | >I did replace the capacitor (it didn't look great from the heat) and | >the zeners (they were functional but hard to solder because of the | >oxidation). Although the repaired unit worked I wasn't really pleased | >with the results and I haven't put it back in service yet. (I'm waiting | >for its replacement to fail...) | >

| > Dan Lanciani | > ddl@danlan.*com | | The capacitor has this clear brown hard goop, like congealed maple | syrup, all around its bottom. Is this a leaky cap? Or is it just glue | they used to keep it from wobbling?

I'm going to guess it was cooked and leaked. There was no glue on mine.

| The cap itself says 105 degrees.

Well, I guess that's an improvement, but since they were talking about the need for hard solder I suspect any capacitor is going to have rather limited life unless it can be moved away from the heat...

Dan Lanciani ddl@danlan.*com

Reply to
Dan Lanciani

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.