MUX serial remote control

I have a 16 channel MUX that is controllable via a three-letter command set using an RS-232 connection. I would like to be able to control at least some basic functions of this unit via an X-10 8-in-1 remote.

What's the best way to implement such a system? Can an Ocelot be programmed to recognize IR commands from an unused function like AUX1 or AUX2 on the remote and convert them to serial commands that the MUX can understand?

Whatever I select, some of the commands are not printable characters and require sending an 8-bit binary address or hex value to select which daisy-chained unit to control.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green
Loading thread data ...

I think you can manage this with your Ocelot. Have it respond to the IR by sending an ASCII string. The ASCII string can contain non-printable characters by preceding the ASCII number with ^. See p44 of the Ocelot PDF manual.

However, it will tie up your Ocelot's RS232 port. I d>I have a 16 channel MUX that is controllable via a three-letter command set

Reply to
Dave Houston

Great! I'll likely get to it this weekend. The beauty of the Ocelot solution is that it doesn't require a PC to be running constantly. I'm off to Ebay to see if there are any for sale . . .

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

I thought you already had an Ocelot.

There are other possible solutions as this is a rather common need with home theater enthusiasts.

formatting link
formatting link
There may be others. Those are just the ones I can recall off the top of my head. They may cost more and offer less than the Ocelot. I think Xantech limits it to their own IR codes.

There are some limits >> I think you can manage this with your Ocelot.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

CPU-XA's, but they are both maxed out at tasks that I don't want to interrupt or fuss with. I've been looking for an excuse to buy an Ocelot since I've read it's much better at IR and has double the memory. My problem is that I'm not very good at C-Max. I guess I'll have to register at ADI and get some information there.

Good point!

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Reply to
Dave Houston

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.