Multi-speaker amplifier

This is kindof backwards from what we usually do.

A friend has a house that was "prewired for sound." What the contractor did was run a bunch of speaker wire from the corner of the living room to the ceilings of other rooms, with no wall drops for volume controls.

Because of cost and architectural limitations, running new wire is not an option. Trying to extend speaker runs down the wall for a volume control is not an option. It's possible, but, I say again, not an option.

I've been looking at various speaker distribution panels, which is close to what this project needs. What I'd really like is a pretty distribution panel with 4 or 6 volume knobs on the front, adjusting the volume out to each speaker group. I figure I could build such a beast easy enough, with a stack of volume controls and an impedance matching speaker distro. But I'd rather find something off-the-shelf, and be done with this project quickly. Since I can't get local control, I'd like to at least get individual control.

Any ideas?

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson
Loading thread data ...

Russound makes a model SDB-6.1 dual source 6 pair speaker selector with zone volume controls. Here's a link (my website) to the product. Click the "details" link on the page for pictures and detailed information.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Hi,

Take a look at Control4. You can get a multi-room amp and/or switch then use one of their Home Theater Controllers or Media Controllers to send sources to speakers. Plus you can do tons of other stuff and you have the core of a home automation system if you decide to go that route.

formatting link
has more details. A nice thing about Control4 is that they are relatively inexpensive as home control systems go and they specialize in audio and theater control and distribution.

Please note that I work for these guys so I do have a personal interest.

Chris Levin

Reply to
Chris

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.