Mounting CNAMPX-16x60 by rack ears?

Does anyone have experience mounting these amps in a rack? They're fairly heavy (90lbs), and ordinarily I would expect anything designed to be rack-mounted that weighs this much to have rails for a four-post rack.

I noticed in picking the amp up that the center of gravity is only a couple of inches behind the front faceplate, and I wondered if maybe it *is* safe to rack-mount it by the front ears only--they're pretty substantial.

So, anyone have experience mounting one of these by the rack ears only? Or how did you support the rear?

Thanks, Heath

Reply to
Heath Roberts
Loading thread data ...

It should be fine to mount it with just the front ears. Most amps mount that way. If the unit will mount square without deflection or distortion of the front plate/rack rails then it should be OK.

The 4 post thing is common for deep equipment, like 1U servers, and equipment with slides for service reasons.

Reply to
Lewis Gardner

Do yourself (and your back) a favor and keep it mounted at the bottom. Just make sure there's enough space above it to allow for proper convection cooling. You don't want to have that amp cook whatever's mounted above it. That much weight on a two post rack is asking for trouble if it's mounted higher up. What sort of rack posts are you using? How is the rack secured? I'd also worry about twisting issues and plan for securing against the risk.

If you're not concerned about being flush-mounted there are offset shelves for racks. That way you'd be able to shift the weight forward such that it's better balanced.

For something that heavy I'd be much more likely to spec a 4-post rack.

-Bill

Reply to
Bill Kearney

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.