monitor video from 2 miles away

I work for a historic lighthouse preservation society. Over the last couple of years we've had more people break-in than usual. The ranger's station is about 2 miles away so we rarely catch them in the act. There is electricity at the lighthouse and we run a multi-camera DVR, but we don't have any way to get the video signal to the ranger's station.

What would be the most cost effective method to transmit video OTA?

Reply to
sky_diver_
Loading thread data ...

formatting link
has long-range video senders. They are not cheap and require various degrees of licensing depending on the unit. Some are for law enforcement use only, but if you've got an official law enforcement letterhead, you can purchase thos items. It sounds as if you might have good a good line-of-site setup so you could get away with some of the medium or even low-powered transmitters, especially if you use very high-gain antennas, which they also sell. They have a fairly knowledgeable staff and an 800 number. No financial interest except as a satisfied customer. I suspect the big question is how much you can spend.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Thanks for the info Bobby. While I was waiting for a response I stumbled upon a college research project that explored USB WiFi dongles and how to extend their range

formatting link
Apparently by modifying a wok skimmer you can get 1-8 miles LOS.

Your suggesti>

formatting link
has long-range video senders. They are not cheap and

Reply to
sky_diver_

To send video from multiple cameras 2 miles I suggest you'll need a bit more punch than you'll obtain from a modified WiFi dongle. Also, if this is for use in the US you'll want to check FCC regulations for the device you want to modify. There are regulated limitations on most such devices.

There are professional systems that can do the job but there are a few limitations. One method is to use IP cameras and a fast Ethernet switch at the lighthouse. The signal from the switch would then be transmitted wireless Ethernet. Microtek makes a system that is good for up to 8 miles line of sight. It's called an MLWES-12 kit. Here's a PDF doc which discusses it:

formatting link
Note that you'll need about 35 feet of clearance above the tree line to send the signal two miles. It isn't just LOS. If you tried to transmit that distance with say 10 feet of clearance above the tree tops the signal would be weak or non-existent at the receiving end. If the light house is tall enough and if there's a tall antenna tower at the ranger station this will work.

There are other brands of long range, wireless Ethernet but I sell Microtek so I'm a little biased in their favor. :^)

Reply to
Robert L Bass

In case you're interested, here's a URL for the Microtek MLWES-12 on our website.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Check with these folks...

formatting link

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Of course, you could just get a decent 2.4GHz antenna. I am using a

24dBi gain mesh antenna to reach our 802.11b POP that is 3.5-4 miles away, and slightly obscured by trees (more of a problem during winter with snow). I have had good service with it, but if you are closer and have clearer site lines, you could probably get by with a smaller antenna.

Check out "high gain antennas" as a source (where I got mine), or you should be readily able to find other suppliers.

If your camera can directly talk to an USB dongle, then great, you just have to get an antenna hookup out of the dongle. Otherwise, you can set up a WRT54G type of wireless router with the antenna and feed it from the vide server. HGA does make an integrated radio/antenna setup which is quite nice as well.

marcus hall snipped-for-privacy@tuells.org

Reply to
marcus hall

Reply to
GROUP MODERATOR

By all means. You did specify cost-effective. I'd do some historical research, though, on when the crimes occur. If these thieves use the cover of bad weather, a long-range solution might have the same problems as DishTV during a heavy rain and may result in dropouts at critical times. I think a lot will depend on the parabolicity(?) of your wok skimmer and how sturdily you can mount it. (-:

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.