Momentary contact switch using Insteon?

Can anyone explain how to create a momentary switch behavior using Insteon? Where if the user is physically holding down a button then the lamp is lit, conversely, when the user lets go, the lamp goes out. The lamp should never light unless the button is held down, conversely, the lamp should never go out while the button is being held down. IOW the lamp is normally off and only on while someone is holding the button down. Is this possible using any of the standard Insteon products?

Reply to
RickH
Loading thread data ...

I don't believe it's possible or desirable. It would require continuous powerline transmissions, blocking all other activity.

It would be possible if the switch itself sent a single on command when depressed and an off command to the same address when released. This would leave the powerline free while the switch was depressed but I'm unaware of any Insteon switches that can do this.

You might get better answers to your Insteon questions on Smarthome's Insteon Forum.

formatting link
What is it you want to do? If it's someth>Can anyone explain how to create a momentary switch behavior using

Reply to
Dave Houston

I just entered a pending question to SH. I want to control a drape motor and have the motor stop at the exact place I lift my finger off the button each time. It is up to the user to lift their finger where/ when they want it to stop, (this is an existing motor with an existing wall pushbutton). Re-applying power a second time and motors travel in reverse, etc. so you can make a stop while it is going in either direction. The motors automatically stop when the outer/inner limits are reached. Considering I need great accuracy, (IOW no motor overrun when I lift my finger), I will probably bite the bullet and just hard- wire a second switch at my seating location. But it would be nice to do it wirelessly.

thanks

Reply to
RickH

I got an answer, however it seems like it will introduce time lag and using non-wired control always leaves open the possibility of a motor running when I dont want it to. So I'm going to use a small ELK relay board at the outlet and hard-wire a low voltage pushbutton at my seat, setting up the relay board for momentary mode (I hope). This way I at least wont have to run line voltage anywhere.

Reply to
RickH

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.