MBasic XOUT command with Extended code

Sheesh. Why are things always so hard? I'm using MBasic and have had lights flashing all through the house for the last few days with the XOUT command but I'm stumped when it comes to the Extended commands. I have one lousy Leviton 6381 I need to dim and I've made gazillions of guesses but I've come up with zip. I can turn the lights on and off with x_on and x_off but I haven't found a way to dim the silly thing yet.

I have a copy of the "Standard and Extended X-10 Code Formats" (XCT798) so I have a few clues to what to put in the XOUT command but ---

For standard X-10 commands, XOUT DataPin\\ZeroPin, House {{Unit}, {Modifiers} Keycode} works just fine.

For extended commands, there's the EXTENDED keycode along with two additional bytes (as well as the Unit).

Anyone have an idea about the format for XOUT to use an EXTENDED code? If you're using the Basic Stamp with an EXTENDED code, that format might help me as well.

Thanks,

Mark

Reply to
spudhorse
Loading thread data ...

Unless something has changed recently you'll have to write your own low level routine. The XOUT command doesn't know about extended codes.

A few years back I offered to help them redo it to handle extended codes but they never resp>Sheesh. Why are things always so hard? I'm using MBasic and have had

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks Dave. I was afraid that was the case. I may fiddle with writing my own routine but it's probably not worth the energy. I've been playing with PICs and I thought I'd just use this as an exercise.

Personally, I can't wait until there's something like ZigBee or other wireless technology that's available for a reasonable price.

Thanks again

Mark

Reply to
spudhorse

Hi,

I've been trying out the XOUT with the Picbasic Pro, and it worked pretty well with the PL513. I'm hoping to build my own powerline interface to replace the PL513.

Just out of curiosity are you using a PL513 / TW523 as well are did you design your own hardware for the mains interfacing?

Regards,

Anand Dhuru

spudhorse wrote:

Reply to
Anand

Reply to
Dave Houston

Here in my country, X10 products are not available; importing from the US is prohibitively expensive after the shipping charges and the import duties.

I have already designed my X10 lamp and appliance receivers.

I'd like to have my own PIC based X10 transmitters (like the mini pad), computer interfaces (thinking of a unit that emulates the Firecracker on the serial port, uses its software, but injects directly into the mains, rather than RF), timers etc., with each having its own mains interface embedded, rather than using a ready built module.

Regards,

Anand

Reply to
Anand

Reply to
Dave Houston

India. I'd seen European X10 resellers on the internet, but as you rightly pointed out these prices are *much* higher. Like I mentioned in my earlier post, even imporing from the US is fairly expensive. The European versions wouuld typically be 2 to 3 times as much.

Also, I must confess designing my own stuff was very temting, enough to override a more practical alternate as importing. For example, while I was at it, I designed my X10 receiver to handle 2 loads independently, each with its own unit code. Found it useful for situations where the lamps to be controlled are physically clustered in close proximity.

Regards,

Anand

Reply to
Anand

Reply to
Dave Houston

I understand. In fact I'm taking tips for the actual AC interface from the PL513 circuit, as well as a design that was featured in Nuts'n'Volts a couple of years back.

Regards,

Anand

Reply to
Anand

The X-Lock project from September 2001? I was unable to find the Toko transformer that project used. The same transformer was also used in Philip Plunkett's appliance module design.

formatting link
I understand. In fact I'm taking tips for the actual AC interface from

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thats correct. I couldnt locate the transformer either, but the transformer used in AM radios (the one that is actually used for 455 KHz, I believe) worked all right in my X10 receiver, albeit with a

*slightly* reduced range after the slug was screwed all the way in. The one issue is this transformer has only 2 windings, of which one has a centre tap, while the RR501 uses 3 seperate windings, although two of them share a ground.

OTH, the Nuts'n'Volts design has a transformer with only 2 windings, none with a center tap, so I'm hoping to work out something that works.

Reply to
Anand

In a page dated July 8, 2005, RadioShack lists the KC1047 transformer in the parts list for their 610-2690 Remote Power Center.

formatting link

There's also a thread >I understand. In fact I'm taking tips for the actual AC interface from

Reply to
Dave Houston

Thanks for both the leads, Dave.

Reply to
Anand

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.