Loud Computer Driven Alarm

I haven't the foggiest idea where to post this.

Occasionally, I'm expecting a critical email. The bong my email program makes when mail arrives is fine if I'm near the computer, but if I'm in another room I cannot hear it. How can I add something that will set off a loud (and hopefully continuous) alarm?

jim

Reply to
jim evans
Loading thread data ...

This one's an easy fix, Jim. Connect the line level outputs of your PC audio to an input on your stereo system. Turn up the volume. Set your e-mail and/or IM programs to play a tune that lasts long enough to get your attention.

If you want to be able to do this while listening to another audio source you'll need to insert an inexpensive audio mixer into the system. Here's a simple way to do it. Connect the pre-amp output of your stereo receiver to one input on your mixer. Set the volume for that input at unity. Connect the line level audio from the PC to another input. Set it at the lowest volume above "off". Connect the mixer's output to the main amp input of the receiver (where the pre-amp is normally connected). Turn the audio system on and raise the volume to your preferred listening level. Now have your PC play the "you've got mail" tone or message repeatedly while you adjust its volume on the mixer to suit your needs. You're done.

Alternatively, if you have an old receiver laying around you could connect it to a pair of speakers and the PC.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

I have mine play a *.wav file from Monty Python's "Holy Grail"... It's from the scene where the guy gets nailed by a messenger arrow: "Thwok!! Message for you sir!!" :-))

Reply to
Frank Olson

Thanks for the suggestions, but my stereo system is two rooms away from the PC. Of course I could snake wires through the attic but I'll continue to look for another solution and cool weather -- I'm in Houston and the temp in the attic is 130F during the day.

jim

Reply to
jim evans

Or buy a cheap amplifier and PA horn at Radio Shack or local electronics shop.

Or look online for a sound operated switch and use it to drive a bell.

Reply to
B Fuhrmann

Buy a decent set of amplified PC speakers. I got a nice set of Cambridge Soundworks that have 2 cube desktop speakers and a floor subwoofer. This was 3 years ago and it was $50 then. Something similar can only be cheaper today. I can crank these up so I can hear them in any room in the house no sweat. I think they are rated at something like 100W.

Reply to
Mark

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.