Lights flickering

Sounds like you have low-voltage lights on a regular dimmer. If this is indeed the case, you'll need to replace a dimmer with one designed for low-voltage lighting.

Reply to
Paul S.
Loading thread data ...

What's the reason for lights bouncing whilst they're dimmed? What can be done to prevent this?

g
Reply to
Gargamil

Hello, Paul!

The lights are halogen downlights but 240V 50W. This effect happens even with the incandescent standard lamp with lamp module. The iteresting thing is that if one light is flashing they're all flashing (all circuits) indicating that there may be an external trigger.

You wrote on Tue, 30 Aug 2005 07:54:41 -0400:

??>> What's the reason for lights bouncing whilst they're dimmed? What can ??>> be done to prevent this?

With best regards, Gargamil. E-mail: snipped-for-privacy@tpgi.com.au

Reply to
Gargamil

Hi g?

You will most probably find that the lights are only flickering at certain times of the day. This is possibly due to a signal being injected onto the mains supply i.e. the local electricity supplier turning your hot water system on/off or turning street lights on/off etc. In my location my mains supply is 240VAC and the electricty authority use tone bursts of 1050Hz at approximatley 20V peak to peak, to turn on/off the afore items. This as you point out, causes dimmed lights to pulsate with morse code like injected tones. I also find this rather annoying when these tones are audibly heard in electrical equipment such as my overhead ceiling fan, especially on hot nights when I have the fan turned on.

Neil.

Reply to
Joe Bloggs

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.