LED DMX512 controller?

I'm looking for some guidance on what I should get for a LED lighting project for the garden and home, it needs to be changeable and re-programmable to keep up interest so for instance at Xmas be able to do the lights (altho I'll fight that impulse my partner has :D)

After doing a bit of reading and talking to some folks I've been told I might consider buying a DMX512 controller - one that is programmable via software: -

Daslight DVC GOLD USB/Standalone DMX Controller Saturn Titainus Control from Chamaeleon tec

Rather expensive items!

And I was wondering if you folks knew of a cheaper alternative that would still allow the functionality of being able to set moods in an architectural sense to create a light show via an application on a pc (win or Linux), rather than hand coding to get the stuff working.

The other bits needed ill leave for my other half to have the joy of discovering but a good flexible controller that has scope to create lots of different things would be of help, he plays with X10 (feels sorry for the house and myself) and is a C/C++ programmer.

Thanks! Mel :)

Reply to
gypsy.calling
Loading thread data ...

This come in RS232 and USB versions.

formatting link
There are many, many similar controllers. Search Google on "USB DMX512".

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

Aren't they in New Zealand?

There's a company called MidiLite that makes a product called LanBox-LCE. It's a full spectrum DMX512 controller that can run stand alone or on a network. The unit costs more than the offshore product mentioned by Mr. Houston, but comes bundled with software to configure your light show.

Contact info: Castle Studios Productions

1018 Greenbrook Ct. Forest, VA 24551 Voice/Fax: (434) 525-6894

I haven't used this model though I've worked with DMX controllers (more elaborate ones built into dedicated PCs mostly) for years. If you need help, feel free to contact me.

Hope this helps.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I've had one of these for 4+ years and have previously recommended it in this news group.

Despite what Dave writes above (perhaps in part because he's never seen one, or ever used DMX512) there are *not* "many, many similar controllers". The vast majority are send-only. The jpk models are relatively unusual in that they are transceivers: that is, they can send *and* receive. So one can read as well as write 8-bit analog and(or) digital values about 44 times/sec. The JPK DMX-512 RS-232 version is limited to changing 256 channels/sec because of the limitation of the 115kbaud serial port. I dunno if the USB version has the same limitation.

There are numerous other options for *send-only*, and if that's what you want, the JPK is not the most economical/best choice.

I also have and can recommend the Durand Interstellar

formatting link

I also have a Soundlight 1512c ISA-bus two channel-send and two-channel receive

formatting link
which is excess to my needs that I would sell cheep.

There are cheap USB send-only models on eBay.

This one is open source, said to be problematic when the design was first popularized, but the glitches may be out of it-- only $55

formatting link
I have some DMX512 links on my site especially including homebrew and DIY alternatives.

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

^^^ Should read "channels", not channels/sec".

Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Thanks you all for your input, the open source enttec solution sounds a good starting point and appears to have solid documentation and the hardware is available in the UK, forgot to mention im in the UK so needed something local as Xmas is but a few days away!

Thanks again and Merry Xmas to all!

Reply to
gypsy.calling

You might also have a look at Elation's new Architectural DMX controller.

formatting link
-> products -> dmx recorder/controller

Reply to
E. Lee Dickinson

Merry Christmas to you, too. By the way, you may want to browse Marc's site a bit. He has done some rather creative things with DMX512. TTBOMK, he and I are the only regulars in this newsgroup with significant experience in DMX512. My experience is as a user, designing and building theatrical systems and running them. Marc has gone beyond that, developing DMX512 based dimmers for residential use. Mr. Houston has no DMX512 experience.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Marc,

While for your use and for some of my past apps a 2-way controller is handy, I'm not sure it will benefit someone using the system primarily for Christmas lighting. There don't seem to be many needs in a residential app for a second DMX512 controller to talk to the primary one. Or am I missing something in your reasoning here?

True. Most of the ones I've used are for professional theater and are likely priced out of the average DIYer's budget.

To bad time and distance apparently preclude the gentleman from availing himself of that. A PC-card based solution might be ideal for him.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Xmas comes later here. ;)

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

I suggested the Enttec open soure for the price and the other reasons you cite. That said, you might want to review the issues that this simple US$55 device has. It consists in a FT232BM USB to RS-232 , SP485CN RS-485 driver and 93C46 serial eprom chips.

The PC itself generates the DMX signal which can lead to flickering with some devices/lights.

More sophisticated DMX512 interfaces have microcontrollers that generate the signal independednt of the PC timing.

But who knows, maybe yet more twinkling and flickering lights would add to the holiday spirit ;-)

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Since the OP is in UK, here's a link to the UK Free DMX Community Forum.

formatting link
They have free programs, drivers, code, help with coding, and bare pcb's, complete kits, and fully-built Version 2 interfaces based on a USM2 module which carries the FT232BL chip.

I kinda like this UK company's USB DMX Cable 5-Pin commercial product which is built entirely inside a proper 5-pin XLR connector (not isolated and output-only, though).

formatting link
Apparently these folks haven't discovered DMX512 input yet ;-).

HTH ... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

But this fellow has:

formatting link
A kit of all parts including case and connectors for isolated, full

512-channel (1 universe) send and receive for ~£87 including shipping.

The protocol for send and receive provides some error detection

formatting link
... Marc Marc_F_Hult
formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Hi

Maybe have a look at these UK based dmx controllers....reasonably priced...

formatting link
There is a plugin for xPL (**** HA Software) available for the

512 Channel Transmitter, Part #1-553 at £65.00 each

HTH Frank

Reply to
Frank Mc Alinden

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.