Lamp module causes noise??

I finally got my Elk Meter and realized that I had virtually no signal in my living room/den circuit, with a substantial amount of noise. I finally traced it to a brand new Radio Shack branded lamp module. I replaced it with a Radio Shack branded appliance module, and now the signal is strong and the noise is gone! Is this normal? Aren't most modules the same just branded differently?

Reply to
mike2711
Loading thread data ...

All X10 Lamp Modules will put noise on the power line. The 60Hz waveform is "chopped" to enable dimming.

Reply to
Jack Ak

Thanks Jack! I figured since it was a "lamp" module that could dim....that it might be the reason for the noise but should the noise be at the 120khz PLC level? Plus it nearly absorbed the X10 signals on the entire circuit when in the "on" position. I mean the Elk couldn't read a valid X10 signal at all! Thanks!

Reply to
mike2711

A lamp module should neither put excessive noise on the line nor eat all

120kHz. What was the load? Some CFLs are known to put noise on the line and others are known to eat 120kHz.

A lamp module will put a short switching transient on the line. This usually consists of about 8-10 cycles of ~150kHz that decrease from 10 or more volts to near zero in about 75-100µS.

You can see an example at...

formatting link
This will not register >Thanks Jack! I figured since it was a "lamp" module that could

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi Dave! It was controlling 1 string of christmas "mini lights", 100 bulbs. When the christmas lights were plugged in directly, no noise and no signal loss. When plugged into the lamp module and in the "on" setting, noise was present as well as very little signal (if any)! They are now plugged into an appliance module without any problems...

Reply to
mike2711

Reply to
Dave Houston

If the noise goes away when you unplug the module you have a defective lamp module.

Reply to
Dave Houston

Hi Dave! Thanks for all the informative posts over the last few weeks while trying to get this X10 project under control.... I posted a question before that went unanswered regarding a keypadlinc that somehow shuts off a device on it's own! It is a keypadlinc 6 with a built in dimer. The dimmer is controlling my porch lights, while the 4 middle buttons control other exterior lighting as well as my landscape transformers that are mounted in my garage. The transformers (plugged into X10 receptacles) are controlled by a Leviton 6308 photocell mounted on the outside of my house, but is very flaky (that is another problem I'll relate below). When it works, it turns on the transformers at dark, turns on the status indicator on the keypadlinc, then turns them off at dawn, and the status indicator goes off. BUT about every other night, the transformers turn off by themselves after a few hours. Sometimes the keypadlinc status light remains lit, when the transformers turn off prematurely. I have had the Leviton 6308 controlling the transformers for a couple years, with varying degrees of success, but they never turned off by themselves until I installed the keypadlinc. It isn't stray signals from neighbors because I tried multiple house and unit codes and the behavior is the same! I have tried it with "boosterlinc" enabled and disabled, no difference. "Boosterlinc" is currently disabled. *Problem 2* The reason I installed the keypadlinc in the first place was to have a way of controlling the transformers easily since the Leviton 6308 wasn't turning on and off the transformers reliably on a daily basis. I have determined that the Leviton 6308 is sending a strong signal every time as evidenced by my Elk meter. The Leviton 6308 and the X10 receptacles that control the transformers are on the same circuit. They get strong, robust signals every time. I turned on many appliances, lights, tv's, space heaters, etc. to try and determine if any noise is generated.....no difference, a very strong signal! I let my furnace cycle 3 times while watching the Elk meter, no noise. I continually sent commands with the furnace cycling, no problem, strong signal! I also duplicated the electrical state the house is in the morning, no lights, 3 space heaters going and the furnace cycling, still a strong signal! I'm at a loss and am ready to buy Intermatic astronomic digital timers to control the transformers and just simply take the transformers out of the X10 equation... The Elk meter did show that I have a phase coupling issue, it is a 3000 sq foot house BUT the Leviton 6308 and the transformers are on the same circuit!! HELP!!!

Reply to
mike2711

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.