Intermittent operation of 3 appliance modules AM486

I have a system in my 2600 sq ft home that I use for controlling my Christmas lights in season and just a couple of other lights during the rest of the year.

I am having fits with it because of seemingly random control failures. Although I have read and extensively researched for trouble-shooting ideas on the web, I cannot seem to locate the source of the problems. Like many stubborn technical problems, I may have multiple causes.

I hope someone can see my problem and suggest a trouble-shooting method that will help me.

Specifically here is my system:

(1) Sundowner Controller SD533 (1) CM11 Computer interface, programmed and disconnected from my PC (1) Wall Dimmer WS467 (1) Wall receptacle SR227 (8) Appliance modules AM486 (1) Phase Coupler/Repeater XPCR

The program in the CM11 turns on all devices at 4:30pm and off at

11:45pm. This program worked fine last year, but this year I am having issues with three of the AM486's on one end of my house.

The devices intermittently refuse to turn on and off. Usually they will turn on but not off, but sometimes they don't turn on either. One of the AM486 is more problematic than the others.

Last year I had a simple phase coupler of a 0.1uf cap connected inside my breaker panel. In the course of trouble-shooting I discovered that the cap had failed. Instead of simply replacing the cap, I decided to install a Phase coupler/repeater - XPCR. This device was installed in a utility box with short connections into my breaker panel.

My trouble-shooting actions:

Swapped the intermittent AM486 modules with others- problem remained in the original locations.

Changed address of the intermittent AM486 modules- no change

I programmed the CM11 with two fast macros- one to turn everything on and the other to turn everything off. Set these to A5 ON and A6 OFF so I could test from my sundowner controller. When I issue the A5 ON and then the A6 OFF , the CM11generates the commands and everything USUALLY works as it should. There is a delay of several seconds from the A5 and A6 button-push and the actual device operations- I presume this is normal and due to the CM11 interface.

All devices USUALLY turn off with the ALL UNITS OFF from the Sundowner controller.

Since the CM11 and the Sundowner controller CAN control the devices, I conclude that the programming is done correctly and that the command signals are being transmitted properly. Is that a bad assumption?

The problem is that at the programmed turn off at 11:45, three of the AM486 don't always shut off. At that time. the A6 OFF and the ALL UNITS OFF don't USUALLY work either.

So I have a system that mostly works but intermittently fails. I have tested the system using A5 & A6 commands to the CM11 with various appliances on and off. I've tried my furness, TV, and all my CF lights around the house. I have not found any CF or appliance that is causing interference. Every time I trouble-shoot the system everything works. Later at the programmed times the devices fail (remain on).

BTW, my entire house is filled with CF lights. Last year I did find one CF that was apparently causing interference but only when it was turned on. I replaced it with another CF light and the problem was gone. This year I can't find any CF lamps that are causing a problem.

I don't have a signal level meter and really don't want to invest in one unless there is just no other way. Really, how much money do I have to spend just to control Christmas lights?

TIA. I hope someone can help me.

Rich

Reply to
Rich
Loading thread data ...

The CM-11 sends out random codes if you leave it unplugged. It has been a long time for me since using a CM11 (sofwtare was too dumb) so I forget the exact details but I think you cannot leave the serial port unplugged for some reason or it goes nuts.

Reply to
John J. Bengii

The exact detail is that the CM11A needs to have the serial cable unplugged at the CM11A. If the cable is left in the CM11A but unplugged from the PC (hanging in the wind, so to speak) then the CM11A will begin to issue strange commands.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

The CM11A is disconnected from my PC and plugged into an outlet in a different room. There is no "hanging cable" issue.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

Rich, Sounds like a noise problem to me. As posted here a few months ago, my wife's cellphone charger caused several units to stop working. Plugging it into a Plug-In Noise filter did the trick. Think about what new items you may have plugged in - particularly lightweight electronic power supplies/chargers. The coupler you installed is useful in bridging signals but in a home of 2500+sf you really should have a signal amplifier or repeater. The Leviton Decora Control Manual (Leviton line of X10 products) makes the same recommendation. There are several repeaters/amplifiers available but the best - by FAR - are the ones from Jeff Volpe at

formatting link
His products raise the signal level higher than any others and at no premium in price. It's all about signal relative to the noise. You can shout louder or turn down the noise or a combination of both. With thte CM11A Plugged into an XTB or XTB-II you'll have a strong signal throughout the house. You still need to pick off any culprits like noisey chargers or other wall warts with filters but you'll need far less or maybe even none of them.

Of course if you want to start fresh, look into Insteon, UPB or Z-Wave.

Rich wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

I think I have the solution, or at least part of it.

I noticed that all the modules switch properly when we are not at home. I deduced that the problem may be an appliance that is turned on and creating noise on the line.

I tracked the issue to four CF lamps. One was a suspect last year when it was in a different location in the house. The other three were small CF floods that I installed in recessed sockets on a porch. I'm not sure exactly when those were installed so they may not have been present last year during the Christmas season.

The problems with these four lamps were not constant. IOW, if any one of the lamps were on, some modules would not turn on, or if on, they wouldn't turn off. Having all of the CF's on (which is typical for us at this time of year) sometimes many modules would not switch on and a few would not turn off.

I replaced the three small floods with conventional incandescent and the other CF with a different brand CF. All modules seem to be working now.

The next question:

Are some brands of CF noisier than others? The offending CF's that I have found are N'Vision and Phillips. The Commercial Electric CF that I used to be able to get at HD seem to work fine.

The other oddity that I've noticed is when there are noisy CF's in the house, modules that will not respond to an addressed OFF command will sometimes respond to an ALL UNITS OFF.

Also, modules that are physically close to the noisy CF's are not the units that fail to respond. That doesn't make sense to me.

Rich

Reply to
Rich

An addressed command requires both an address command and a function command. If either doesn't get through, the module will not respond. The All Units Off is just a single function command so it has a better chance of getting through.

Physically close may not mean electrically close.

formatting link
formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston

even see an advocate in his robe and with his cap on his head, without a favourable opinion of his ability. The imagination disposes of everything; it makes beauty, justice, and happiness, which is everything in the world. I should much like to see an Italian work, of which I only know the title, which alone is worth many books, Della opinione regina del mondo. I approve of the book without knowing it, save the evil in it, if any. These are pretty much the effects of that deceptive faculty, which seems to have been expressly given us to lead us into necessary error. We have, however, many other sources of error.

Not only are old impressions capable of misleading us; the charms of novelty have the same power. Hence arise all the disputes of men, who taunt each other either with following the false impressions of childhood or with running rashly after the new. Who keeps the due mean? Let him appear and prove it. There is no principle, however natural to us from infancy, which may not be made to pass for a false impression either of education or of sense.

"Because," say some, "you have believed from childhood that a box was empty when you saw nothing in it, you have believed in the possibility of

Reply to
Rich

of all our knowledge. For the knowledge of first principles, as space, time, motion, number, is as sure as any of those which we get from reasoning. And reason must trust these intuitions of the heart, and must base them on every argument. (We have intuitive knowledge of the tri-dimensional nature of space and of the infinity of number, and reason then shows that there are no two square numbers one of which is double of the other. Principles are intuited, propositions are inferred, all with certainty, though in different ways.) And it is as useless and absurd for reason to demand from the heart proofs of her first principles, before admitting them, as it would be for the heart to demand from reason an intuition of all demonstrated propositions before accepting them.

This inability ought, then, to serve only to humble reason, which would judge all, but not to impugn our certainty, as if only reason were capable of instructing us. Would to God, on the contrary, that we had never need of it, and that we knew everything by instinct and intuition! But nature has refused us this boon. On the contrary, she has given us but very little knowledge of this kind; and all the rest can be acquired only by reasoning.

Therefore, those to whom God has imparted religion by intuition are very fortunate and justly convinced. But to those who do not have it, we can give it only by reasoning, waiting for God to give them spiritual insight, without which faith is only human and useless for salvation.

283. Order.--Against the objection that Scripture has no order.

The heart has its own order; the intellect has its own, which is by principle and demonstration. The heart has another. We do not prove

Reply to
Rich

Poor Amy! Her mother was greatly affected at such a behavior in a child, and knew not what to say to her. One of the neighbors coming in a little after, asked her what she had cried for. She seemed at first backward to tell the reason: her mother told her she might tell that person, for he had given her an apple: upon which she said, she cried because she was afraid they would go to hell.

At night, a certain minister, who was occasionally in the town, was at the house, and talked with her of religious things. After he was gone, she sat leaning on the table, with tears running from her eyes; and being asked what made her cry, she said, I was thinking about God. The next day, being Saturday, she seemed a great part of the day to be in a very affectionate frame, had four turns of crying and seemed to endeavor to curb herself, and hide her tears, and was very backward to talk of the occasion. On the Sabbath-day she was asked, whether she believed in God; she answered, Yes. And being told that Christ was the Son of God, she made ready answer, and said, I know it.

From this time there appeared a very remarkable abiding change in the child. She has been very strict upon the Sabbath; and seems to long for the Sabbath-day before it comes, and will often in the week time be inquiring how

Reply to
Dave Houston

of dangers, of revolutions which may happen, and, finally, of death and inevitable disease; so that, if he be without what is called diversion, he is unhappy and more unhappy than the least of his subjects who plays and diverts himself.

Hence it comes that play and the society of women, war and high posts, are so sought after. Not that there is in fact any happiness in them, or that men imagine true bliss to consist in money won at play, or in the hare which they hunt; we would not take these as a gift. We do not seek that easy and peaceful lot which permits us to think of our unhappy condition, nor the dangers of war, nor the labour of office, but the bustle which averts these thoughts of ours and amuses us.

Reasons why we like the chase better than the quarry.

Hence it comes that men so much love noise and stir; hence it comes that the prison is so horrible a punishment; hence it comes that the pleasure of solitude is a thing incomprehensible. And it is, in fact, the greatest source of happiness in the condition of kings that men try incessantly to divert them and to procure for them all kinds of pleasures.

The king is s

Reply to
John J. Bengii

these bounds, and overflows to His own enemies, and then to those of God.

768. Jesus Christ typified by Joseph, the beloved of his father, sent by his father to see his brethren, etc., innocent, sold by his brethren for twenty pieces of silver, and thereby becoming their lord, their saviour, the saviour of strangers and the saviour of the world; which had not been but for their plot to destroy him, their sale and their rejection of him.

In prison, Joseph innocent between two criminals; Jesus Christ on the cross between two thieves. Joseph foretells freedom to the one, and death to the other, from the same omens. Jesus Christ saves the elect, and condemns the outcast for the same sins. Joseph foretells only; Jesus Christ acts. Joseph asks him who will be saved to remember him, when he comes into his glory; and he whom Jesus Christ saves asks that He will remember him, when He comes into His kingdom.

769. The conversion of the heathen was only reserved for the grace of the Messiah. The Jews have been so long in opposition to them without success; all that Solomon and the prophets said has been useless. Sages, like Plato and Socrates, have not been able to persuade them.

770. After many persons had gone before, Jesus Christ at last came to say: "Here am I, and this is the time. That which the prophets have said was to come in the fullness of time, I tell you my apostles will do. The Jews shall be cast out. Jerusalem shall be soon destroyed. And the heathen shall enter into the knowledge of God. My apostles shall do this after you have slain the heir of the vineyard."

Then the apostles said to the Jews: "You shall be accursed," (Celsus laughed at it); and to the heathen, "You shall enter into the knowledge of God." And this then came to pass.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

the manners of the heathen. If there are hypocrites among them, but so well disguised that she does not discover their venom, she tolerates them; for, though they are not accepted of God, whom they cannot deceive, they are of men, whom they do deceive. And thus she is not dishonoured by their conduct, which appears holy. But you want the Church to judge neither of the inward, because that belongs to God alone, nor of the outward, because God dwells only upon the inward; and thus, taking away from her all choice of men, you retain in the Church the most dissolute and those who dishonour her so greatly that the synagogues of the Jews and sects of philosophers would have banished them as unworthy and have abhorred them as impious.

906. The easiest conditions to live in according to the world are the most difficult to live in according to God, and vice versa. Nothing is so difficult according to the world as the religious life; nothing is easier than to live it according to God. Nothing is easier, according to the world, than to live in high office and great wealth; nothing is more difficult than to live in them according to God, and without acquiring an interest in them and a liking for them.

907. The casuists submit the decision to the corrupt reason, and the choice of decisions to the corrupt will, in order that all that is corrupt in the nature of man may contribute to his conduct.

908. But is it probable
Reply to
Rich

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.