Insteon touchscreen

formatting link
There's no price given in the thread but it will likely cause a lot of interest.

formatting link
snipped-for-privacy@yahoogroups.com

Reply to
Dave Houston
Loading thread data ...

Interesting, I haven't read the entire thread yet (later) but this looks interesting. I hope I can 'link' (I use that term loosely not in the strict Insteon sense) it Mr. House. I'm not happy to have to purchase another PLM.

Reply to
Neil Cherry

The originator of the thread has added some pictures. Here's a link to the first...

formatting link
Unless this thing costs a fortune I think it will be hugely popular.

The manufacturer has joined the thread so the details should be forthcoming.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

This is looking even cooler, can't wait for the price. I'll have to build a cutom bezel (if I get one). I also want to get my hands on the First Alert Insteon fire alarms but I haven't seen them yet.

I still think Insteon is going to be top dog but I think Z-Wave is going to give it a good run for it's money and be very close.

I'm in the middle of doing research for an HA presentation and it's amazing just how many systems still rely on X10 though I did find one high end ssystem that used UPB (Omni?).

Reply to
Neil Cherry

What's wrong with the standard bezel? (It is upside down in the pics.) If I were engineering it, it would also work as a programmable IR gateway.

Z-Wave had quite a head start but hasn't really made much headway in 5 years, I think the Lutron patent suit will be a major problem for them. One-way comms won't cut it for "new" technology.

I argued here that UPB was making a mistake pricing UPB so high when even they claimed it only added $3-4 to the cost of a switch.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

A picture of a desktop version has been added to the thread. I still haven't seen a price on it.

formatting link
Most of the low cost touchscreens have only a USB interface which makes it tough to adapt them for DIY HA use. Comfile has a larger color touchscreen with a serial interface. I would probably use it if I had the need for an HA controller with touchscreen.

formatting link

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

per this thread

formatting link
Insteon alarms are still a live project, but no timetable was given.

Reply to
Wayne

If it sells for the reported price of $450-$500 + cost of Power Line Modem (PLM) = >$500, I expect to be of near-zero immediate interest to the informed DIY crowd in part because at this writing, SmartHome / SmartLabs has not satisfactorily resolved underlying communication problems. And I see scant evident of progress in the developer forums.

Until and unless the current issues in using more than one interface device (either PLM or Power Line Controller --PLC) simultaneously are resolved, the choice for a dependable automated INSTEON system is between *either* the not-yet-available INSTEON Touchscreen *or* PC control (Windows or Linux) *or* a non-PC panel (eg Elk M1G).

And, as best I know, SmartLabs has yet to solve the PLx lockup problems that plague large or very active INSTEON installations with even a single PLx. This would also seem to be a precondition for satisfactory adoption of the INSTEON touchscreen in large systems.

... Marc Marc_F_Hult

formatting link

Reply to
Marc_F_Hult

Methinks the price ($530) turns out to be a little much given the size of the screen.

formatting link

seen a price on it.

tough to adapt them for DIY >HA use. Comfile has a larger color touchscreen with a serial interface. I would probably use it if I >had the need for an HA controller with touchscreen.

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Reply to
bruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.