insteon tech questions

Two questions:

(1) I have a remotelinc, a switchlinc V2 (in wall dimmer) with no load, and a lamplinc with a lamp. How do I link all of them together such that both the remotelinc and the switchlinc control the lamplinc, and the LEDs on the switchlinc reflects the brightness of the lamp on the lamplinc even if the remotelinc was used to turn it on?

I have established the 2 access points and have linked the switchlinc to the lamplinc, but could not link the remotelinc to the switchlinc or the lamplinc. This is not a simple one controller to one device link, I suspect more complex sequence is needed to establish the links.

(2) Is there a PC-based controller with a GUI interface that would display all devices/controllers and the links, and allows simple click/drag to create new links?

Reply to
peter
Loading thread data ...

If you do the linking manually you have to link each one to each other - both ways! It's far simpler to do it with software. I have tried a number of hardware/software solutions for programming the Insteon stuff over the past 2 years and have been sorely disappointed with each till I recently tried the Universal Devices ISY-26 controller which has since been replaced with the expanded ISY-99i controller.

Simply put, this is the first standalone Insteon Controller that's ready for Prime Time. The ISY series is a standalone box that plugs into your server and an Insteon PLM. It will crawl your system and show you what you have and display all the current links. Adding a link is a drag & drop proposition - EASY. Create scenes, timer or conditional programs easily and it is all stored in the box. You do not need to leave a PC running and you can log on from any PC anywhere.

In addition to displaying and creating links you can set dim levels and ramp rates with sliders on the screen and the controller sends the info to the switches. The box will even send emails or text messages if you want.

You'll pay about $300 for this (or $370 with built in IR) but I believe that you will find it to be worth every penny. The less expensive solutions I have tried are not nearly as user friendly or well supported - I have tried most if not all of them. Also, you will find their support to be top notch with the company owners/engineers monitoring and responding to questions on the their forum 7 days a week.

The software version as of today is 2.6.3 with 2.6.4 due later this week. They continually upgrade the software in response to user requests and their own ideas. And, if you have any legacy X10 the ISY is fully compatible so it can be used as a translator as well.

And, for those with UPB or Z-Wave, ISY versions for those are "coming soon."

You can buy direct from

formatting link
or from
formatting link
As you can see I am VERY enthusiastic about this product and I believe that every Insteon user will share that enthusiasm if they try it. I do not sell this product nor do I get anything for recommending it. The product has fully earned my recommendation and support.

peter wrote:

Reply to
BruceR

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.