Insteon and other X10 alternatives?

I had an X10 set-up in a condo that I just moved out of. I'm now in a house, and was thinking of doing an Insteon set-up. To my surprise, when I search for the term "Insteon" in this group, there are no hits!

I'm curious how well Insteon works in the real world, and if there are other alternatives I should be considering that go beyond X10.

Thanks!

Reply to
Greg Maletic
Loading thread data ...

There have been many comments regarding the Insteon system here. Need a better search engine or algorithm or source??

I am in the same boat as you...looking for a new control and better system. The X10 is so unreliable I have not installed more than one unit in three years in my new house.

I'm curious how well Insteon works in the real world, and if there are other alternatives I should be considering that go beyond X10.

Thanks!

Reply to
Josepi

It works very well in my house, with one near-fatal exception: the 2412S powerline modem locks up in modes that require cycling power to restore, which is just unacceptable in a system that's intended to reliably run lights and other systems unattended. I've wound up building a little box that detects when my server is sending serial data to the PLM and not getting answers, and resets the PLM.

I notice the 2412 appears to be out of production; a 2413S (2412S + INSTEON wireless access point) appears to have replaced it. I'd be very curious to know whether this device has fixed the firmware bugs of the

Reply to
Joe Pfeiffer

Strange...I simply typed "Insteon" into the Google search field in this group a few hours ago, and no results. If I type now, I get

1,800. Odd.
Reply to
Greg Maletic

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.