Installers advice needed, home less than 1000 sf

As I see it, there are lots of question on the groups for home automation for individual houses with more then 3000 sf. But I have 5 approximately

900 sf apartments in one house and as I see it there are some problems.

First, I can't have always-on PC because of a problem with space in each apartment. I was thinking of using some sort of home automation controller like Cortexa, Homeseer or Control4. Are there any others? But the price of single controller to be in every apartment is just to high for controlling only 3 scene switches, temperature (HVAC), door camera, access via mobile phone and few door/window sensors.

I was thinking of buying only one good (high tech) controller and control the whole house (5*900=4500 sf) but separate it on 5 individual zones (apartments) with shared security, weather station, surveillance (camera and sensors), light on staircase and so on. But with individual/separated light control (scene), HVAC, mobile phone, internet access, drape control (connected with a weather station) in every apartment. Are there any controllers able to do that?

Do you have any other suggestions or idea? How to automate a house with 5 apartments?

Thanks.

Reply to
toni maroni
Loading thread data ...

ELK Products makes an ELK-M1G home automation controller. It is partitionable so that it behaves as though you have from 1 to 8 separate controllers. You connect sensors and output devices as needed and assign each to a partition. You can set up common areas (lobby, basement, laundry room) which are accessible to all tenants. Each apartment has its own keypad. Each tenant's user code works only in his apartment. You would have a master code so that you can service the system.

ELK can do all of that. There are modules, interfaces and sensors available to operate just about anything.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

in Europe?

Reply to
Slob

Oops. Croatia?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

First of all, thanks for recommending ELK-M1G. It really has everything I need.

Yes, Croatia

I don?t know how big problem that is at this stage?

I was looking at a wiring diagram and at the first glance I see there is only a problem with the power supply (actually transformer 230/16.5 AC). Hardwired elements like smoke detectors and motion detectors are connected on zones. And light control is connected with RS 232/RS 485 to hub -> control panel (I can have (if I want) in every apartment different manufacture, local).

Thanks

Reply to
toni maroni

Unfortunately you may not be able to use it in your country. I don't believe Elk manufactures an export version of the M1G and using it in another jurisdiction may pose problematic (particularly if you want to integrate life safety devices (smoke alarms, heat detectors, etc.).

Reply to
Frank Olson

They have international sales department so I send them an e-mail. We will see.

But if they are exporting to Europe, they must have CE mark

formatting link
Don?t kwon how really this works but I thing that EU regulations are above local ones. It?s just of mater translating it to the local language. It seems I will have to find that out before buying. Anyway, thanks for the information.

Reply to
toni maroni

Nor do I. There may be a solution. I can check with ELK if you like.

I haven't had previous occasion to look into this but there may be an issue with 50 Hz AC current. Other than that, the system is capable of doing everything you want.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

I haven't sold any ELK systems overseas though we have clients in Eastern and Western Europe. If ELK has any issues with that I'll get you the name of a European vendor who can supply your needs.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

It's not a problem. Also, the ELK-M1G will run on European current (50Hz) with no programming changes. The panel recognizes the supply voltage automatically. The only thing needed is a proper transformer. Those are readily available.

Since the system controller provides DC for the detectors and all accessories there is no power issue.

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.