implementing a toggle function in x10

I'm pretty sure this isn't possible, but just in case, is there any way (short of dedicating a PC or other high-end device) to implement a "toggle" function with one x10 code, so a single button will do on and off (sorta like a garage door opener).

The problem I'm trying to solve is implementing lights on/off commands from a Homelink unit in a car. It will learn one x10 code on a single button. I would like to use the same button to alternate between "on" and "off", i.e. one press should issue the off command, and the next press (after release) should send the on command. I have a cm11a, however it appears to be stateless, so it won't solve this problem as far as I can tell.

I haven't been able to find much detail on the Homelink, but I suspect the buttons are only capable of sending a single code.

Obviously if I dedicated a PC I could store a state and write a "macro" that alternates, but that's not really an option for me.

Reply to
bcboy
Loading thread data ...

suspect

"macro"

Is a low-cost controller an option? For $150 you can get an Ocelot, which would allow you to set up your toggle, and as a bonus it would be able to do many, many other things as well.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

You're making this more complicated than it needs to be.

For a simple toggle operation like this it is unnecessary to have the Ocelot sense the state of the light. In practice as the user approaches the house he presses the HomeLink to toggle the light on (or off). If he doesn't get the desired result because the Ocelot happens to be out of sync with the light he simply presses the button again.

Reply to
Robert L. Bass

Tricky.

Probably could do it with various combinations of appliance modules and possibly needing some 120v relays. But ouch, it makes my head hurt. :)

I think so. :(

Someday...

sdb

Reply to
Sylvan Butler

X10 modules should be considered stateless devices. Knowledge of the current state is not necessary for operation.

My wife's car has the Homelink 3 button transmitter. One button activates the garage door operator. The other two are dedicated to a macro which controls a couple of WS-467 wall switches. One button sends the macro On command and the other sends the Off command. The macro will turn off the lights two minutes after the Macro On command if no Off command is received. This provides on/off control of the lights using a single Homelink button, while the third Homelink button provides an immediate Off.

ActiveHome software is used to download the macro commands to a CM11A so the PC isn't running all the time.

Reply to
Jack Ak

How will an Ocelot allow this? I can see ways to do it using an Ocelot PLUS something to sense whether the light is on or off (e.g. a Bobcat light sensor) but that adds another $40-50 cost and the Ocelot will also need a TW523 ($30-35) to communicate with the X-10 modules.

I've always thought the Ocelot offers the most bang for the buck of any HA controller but it's still a bit pricey if you don't need a lot of bang.

Reply to
Dave Houston

snipped-for-privacy@thecraftstudio.com wrote in news:1115102598.780929.199910 @o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com:

A JDS Time Commander can do this, but may be a little pricey unless you use it for other purposes as well.

I implemented this to save buttons on an RF remote control. The command went from the remote to the receiver and then X-10 to the Time Commander. A macro on the Time Commander keeps track of state and sends the correct On or Off command to the light. Note that this doubles the delay between the key press and the result.

Reply to
Ian Shef

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.