Ideas for a DIY ramp

I'd like to build a folding ramp for an exterior door. This is not a wheel chair ramp, so it does not have to be wheelchair specific.

My design criteria are as follows:

It would be nice if the extended ramp did not land more than 4' from the wall. Step height is about 18" This is a nice to have, so cheap is good. Automatic lowering would be nice when the door is opened It would be nice if it did not kill anyone/anything when lowering. (inside only) Exterior door opens in.

My initial thought was some diamond plate, with an electric hoist and some kind of pulleys from the rafters (garage). Plan B, would be some kind of hydraulic cylinders. Plan C, some kind of spring loaded manual system like a garage door.

The hoist would be kind of messy with the cables in the way. The hydraulics are likely more dangerous in that they have crushing power.

Any thoughts or reasonable commercial alternatives.

Reply to
Bill Stock
Loading thread data ...

Reply to
BruceR

Here's one that's intended for retrofitting into a van. The company says they will make whatever length you need. It would require a 12VDC power supply but that's no real problem.

formatting link

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Thanks Robert, I'd come across the folding van ramps while chasing Bruce's search. I'm thinking it should be possible to build something out of plywood and 2x4s with some springs to help with the lift. The hardest part will be getting the springs right, so that they stay locked when open. I wouldn't want to launch someone with the 'ejector ramp'.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Heh, I imagine not. Springs work OK... unless/until they give out. Have you ever seen one of the old garage door springs break? One of my brothers used to volunteer on a First Aid squad. He told me how one of the springs on the big door for their garage -- big door: three ambulances side by side -- broke. It was like a steel bullwhip.

You might find it easier to set up a counter balancing system with weights, cables and pulleys. Once you have a manageable load a modified garage door opener might be just the thing. Are you handy with stuff like that or more inclined to search out a "store bought" solution?

Reply to
Robert L Bass

Yeah fairly handy. DIY vs. buy depends on the mark up, my time, my dollars, projects in the queue, my interest in the project and my familiarity with the subject.

I've heard the spring horror stories, but I would not be dealing with anything near as heavy as a garage door. I imagine somewhere around 30 lbs.

Reply to
Bill Stock

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.