I wish to investigate the possibility of an Alarm system for a Driveway - Induct

I wish to investigate the possibility of an Alarm system for a Driveway - Inductive type seems best to accommodate those needs. (Infer-red or motion detector applications doesn't monitor the ingress & egress traffic flow.)

Criteria: To detect vehicles transporting people and deliveries only. Not lawn mowers, animals, people, blowing trash, rain, snow, fog, or grass fire smoke.

EQUIPMENT REQUIRED:

2 separate Systems (A & B) seem necessary:

SYSTEM (A) includes:

1), Magnetic loop sensor capable of being place in PVC pipe 12" below earth surface with 100' underground wiring also put in PVC from sensor to transmitter. 2), Transmitter with a Range of 875', wireless, encased in metal enclosure with metal pole, capable of sending signal with some Line of sight obstructions - Shop building & shrubs. 3), System powered with batteries & backed up by a small solar panel capable of being encased in metal enclosure and mounted on metal pole. 4), Receiver: See Merging of Systems below.

SYSTEM (B) includes:

1), [Same as System A-1] (Magnetic loop sensor capable of being place in PVC pipe 12" below earth surface with 100' underground wiring also put in PVC from sensor to transmitter.) 2), [Same as System A-2 except Range of 280' - NO Line of sight obstructions] (Transmitter with a Range of 280', wireless, encased in metal enclosure with metal pole, capable of sending signal with no line-of-sight obstructions.) 3), [Same as System A-3] (System powered with batteries & backed up by a small solar panel capable of being encased in metal enclosure and mounted on metal pole.) 4), Receiver: See Merging of Systems below.

Merging of Systems A & B to operate on 3 individual Receivers: (2 locations in Residence) both are to receive signal from Transmitters A & B with two distinct & different sounds "normal volume adjustable" for each system.

(1 location in Shop) to receive signal from Transmitters A & B with two distinct different sounds "loud, adjustable volume" for System A & "normal volume, adjustable" for System B.

Reason for metal incasement requirements of exposed elements was wild animals (rats, raccoons, & others) tend to eat, chew & gnaw on the exposed plastic boxes & pipes.

Had a photo cell system that lasted less than a week after its installation.

Reply to
Philip Hatfield
Loading thread data ...

I used PIR and it was a disaster. It would detect cool air coming from the top of the mountain and everything else. I'm now using an IR system with a source on one side with the detector on the other side. It works pretty good, however, it does detect people, deer and bears. In my case I'm ok with this because I like to know when someone walks in and we do like to see the wild life. I use an X10 send device (PowerFlash module) to send when there is a detection. I use the information back in the house to determine what to do; ring a signal, turn on floods, etc. This is done with a extinct (I have 2 of them, just in case) 1132CU programmable module. I also have a 5 minute timer on the detect line to keep from retriggering if we are just doing yard work and walking back and forth. The PowerFlash modules, (I have 2) all seem to suffer from some kind of laziness. Sometimes they just don't send. They also seem to overheat when this happens. I haven't figured out what's what. I am planning on changing to a different X10 sending unit, one of the wall switches than normally is used to turn on or off stuff via X10.

BTW, I live in a gated subdivision which has one of the magnetic detectors to open the gates from inside when a guest leaves. You really have to drive close to the edge of the road to trip it. I've gotten many calls from people that "cannot get out". Now I tell visitors to huge the right side and it will open.

For Halloween, to kick off some animation. Again, I've been using PIR with lots of false triggers. This year I'm going to get a unit that has the IR light source and detector on one side, with a reflector on the other side (neighbor's property).

Reply to
Art Todesco

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.