how to use a low volt switch on a 120Volts light bulb?

You might notice from previous posts that I know nothing about electricity. I thought maybe someone in this forum could give me some guidance on how to complete this project.

I boght the following sensor

formatting link
detect if a door is open or closed. My idea is to install this on the storage room so that the light turns on automatically as soon as I open the door, and turn off the light when the door is closed(similar to refrigerators=92 light)

The problem is that this seems to be a low voltage device and the light bulb is 120Volts. I don=92t think I should just send electricity form the power outlet directly to this switch.

Does anyone have any idea how can I turn on/off a 120Volts light bulb using this low voltage switch?

Thanks in advanced.

Reply to
emoreno
Loading thread data ...

If the storage room has a 120V wall outlet, these two X-10 devices are the easiest solution.

formatting link
formatting link
Wire your switch to the Power Flash module. It can be configured to turn on the SocketRocket.

The Socket Rocket probably comes set to 'address' A1. If you need to change it you will need some X-10 controller. If you know anyone who uses X-10, they can probably set the address at their house. You can unscrew it and take it home - the address will be retained. Or you might be able to find a cooperative X-10 dealer who will set the address.

Another approach uses these Insteon devices.

formatting link
You might notice from previous posts that I know nothing about

Reply to
Dave Houston

You are correct that you absolutely CANNOT just run 120vac through that switch. It would destroy the switch instantly, and create a fire hazard as well. That's why they call it a "low-voltage" switch. Rather than trying to make a low voltage switch control high voltage, an easier solution is just to get a 120 volt door switch. But even that takes a lot of effort to install and must be done according to the electric code to be safe and legal. A much easier solution is either a free standing motion sensor light, such as

formatting link
if there is already a light in the closet, use a motion sensor that mounts in the existing socket, such as
formatting link
should be able to find this, or something similar at a local hardware store, or order it from smarthome. Is there an existing light in the closet? How about a 120volt outlet?

Norman Smith

Reply to
NsmithSJCA

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.