Home surveillance help

Hello,

I would like to modulate video feeds from some door cameras such that they can be viewed on any tv in the house. I'm not sure of the best/correct equipment needed though. Any help the group can provide will be greatly appreciated.

Here is my current configuration. Open House wiring panel in the wiring closet.

2 Open House Channel Plus 532-230 RG6 Splitter/Combiner for TV distribution. 1 Eagle Aspen 3-in 4-out multiswitch. 2 LNB inputs used for satellite. 4 outputs direct to the TVs. The antenna input is not used.

2 home runs of RG6 to each tv. One run is used for DirecTv. Cat 5 run to the front door and both rear doors. RG6 and power run to an under eave location above the garage.

I am thinking about using the Open House H722 camera at each of the doors, since they accept Cat 5. Is the black and white version adequate for an entry, or should I get color? I'm not sure what type of camera to mount under the roof. It will be aimed at the entrance to the back yard. Any suggestions? Black/white or color?

For the Open House cameras, I think I need an Open House H512 modulator to convert from Cat 5 to video. Do I need one per camera? Space may be limited, so it would be nice to only need 1.

Assuming all of the above gets worked out, how do I combine the feeds from all 4 cameras such that they can be used as an input to either the antenna input on the multiswitch or the Channel Plus splitter/combiner?

Thanks for the help.

Reply to
zman
Loading thread data ...

B&W is adequate, but color is really a whole lot better for making sense of what you're seeing. The tradeoff is that most color cams need more light than their B&W counterparts and they are more expensive. I find it worth it because there's so much more "information" available to the brain in a color photograph. Everything tends to be more of a jumble in black and white. Still, if all you want to see is the face of whomever's at the door, B&W is acceptable.

I use weatherproof bulletcams (mostly weatherproof, that is - put silicone sealant on the wire lead-outs and the back seal to be sure!). If there's not much light back there, I would use one of the newer cams that have their own IR illumination. The only caveat I can think of is making sure that you are able to wipe off the spider webs that always seem to form on IR cameras. The IR light attracts insects and wherever their are insects, spiders are soon to follow. I've tried everything I can think of to inhibit them, but every few months the backyard IR cam turns into a Tholian web and I have to open the window and lean out and clear the cobwebs. Put the cameras where you can reach them without killing yourself!

There are a number of ways to do this. First, there's a very simple "scanner" device that switches to each camera in sequence for a preset number of seconds. The next would be the same sequencer, but with alarm inputs that allow you to specify which camera you want to view at a specific moment. The third type of device is called a "quad processor" that splits your screen into four different quarter panes, each showing a separate image. These units are often equipped with alarm inputs that enable you to switch from the quad view to any specific camera output that you want to see full-screen. They are usually the most expensive of the multi-camera options.

These devices are for cameras with a normal video output (i.e. you could plug them into the "video in" jack of your VCR). I am not sure what's available for the cameras that you've specified.

I started with a simple 8 camera sequencer with variable dwell time and the manual ability to switch cameras in and out of the "loop" but that gets old pretty quickly. Invariably a sequenced camera switches away from the camera you want at exactly the wrong moment. Now I use a sequencer that can switch manually, but can also switch electronically to whatever camera channel whose alarm contacts are closed.

-- Bobby G.

Reply to
Robert Green

Another way that's easy to get your cameras to unused TV channels is to get a 4 channel modulator.

formatting link
(Open house and Channel Plus are sister companies)

This allows 4 inputs modulated to 4 channels. Requires at a minimum of 9 free channels available, but with satellite you are fine. When modulating you do not use the channel above or below a modulated channel to minimize noise and interference.

Reply to
Brett Griffin

Have you tried using a good outdoor insect killer. I have used one here that has keep bugs away for the three months it cliams. Keep the spraying up and you wont need to clean, just spray instead

Mick

Brett Griff> Another way that's easy to get your cameras to unused TV channels is to get

Reply to
Mick

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.