Help! Strange X-10 Problem

A ceiling fan, consisting of a fan motor and 4 compact fluorescent bulbs, is controlled by an X-10 system. In order not to place too much load on the X-10 module, the module controls an external relay which controls the ceiling fan, a system which has worked for years. Recently, the ceiling fan would not turn off in response to the X-10 command. After much troubleshooting, I determined that if I unscrewed a particular one of the 4 bulbs, the system would work; if I replaced the bulb, the system would again fail to respond to the X-10 command to turn off. The solution seemed clear: a defective bulb. Perhaps the bulb was generating noise which interfered with the X-10 signal.

I then replaced the bulb with a new bulb, but it didn't solve the problem! I tried interchanging two of the four bulbs, but it seems that whenever any bulb is screwed into this particular socket, the system malfunctions. Of course, I could just "solve" this problem by removing the bulb and getting by with three bulbs, but I'd really like to solve this problem.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
NOSPAM
Loading thread data ...

The relay contacts could be sticking together at a higher load (4 bulbs). Try reducing the wattage of all 4 bulbs at once to a wattage where all 4 equals the current three, see if it still has the same behavior. I had an Insteon relay weld its contacts together last year because I used eight (240 watt equivalent light output) CFL bulbs on it, not sure what total wattage was but it burned the contacts together to where the spring could not release them with the off command. I has to pull the breaker to shut off those lights.

Reply to
RickH

what if you replace the particular fluorescent bulb with a regular bulb, just for the test? Guess it works ?

Reply to
J.J. van den Berg

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.