Has anyone seen an Insteon Module?

They are still pretty new, right? I can't seem to find any reviews that aren't press releases.

Will they listen to both the Insteon protocol and an X10 code at the same time, or is it either or?

I've browsed the various home sites and the above question isn't clear, I've seen both answers.

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner
Loading thread data ...

I have no hands-on but from my research...

SmartHome and several dealers list a few modules as well as a $100 starter kit that has 2 lamp modules, 2 RF repeaters (which function as a phase coupler) and a desktop controller.

Reply to
Dave Houston

I've seen different, but I also read in one place that it's 'either or' i.e. you can program your Insteon modules to recieve X10 OR Insteon. Then one note I saw said the opposite, that they can recieve both X10 and Insteon simultaneously (the best of all words). Now you state a 3rd option. Sure is confusing.

Thanks for the response, good to know about the controller.

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

No. They specifically state that you will still need an X-10 phase coupler.

I was wrong. I hadn't noticed that the LampLinc module can be configured as Insteon or X-10. But it can only be one or the other - not both at the same time.

Read the details at...

formatting link
formatting link

Reply to
Dave Houston

Ok, thanks.

I want to go with either UPB or Insteon - I like the way a keypad with UPB can become an in wall controller but I like the X10 compatibility of Insteon.

I've got a box of about 15 X10 switches, 3 ways, IR sensors, motion detectors, etc. but only about 4 switches wired in the house. Realistically, I could chuck it all and go with something new, and just use the old switches in out of the way places.

I really, really like the 'tap the top for on' switches. I got the impression Insteon works that way, but with UPB it looks like it would but at least at Smarthome it doesn't say 'true rocker action'.

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

That's also how RadioRA switches function. Tap the top for on, bottom for off. Actually you can tap either end to invert the current state. That and set the default dim level on the local slider. Double-tap for full-on or hold for v-e-r-y slow dim to off.

Reply to
wkearney99

Well I'll answer my own question: UPB also is a true rocker.

However, >>Actually you can tap either end to invert the current state. off. Actually you can tap either end to invert the current state. That

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

How's it handle dimming then?

Reply to
wkearney99

Where'd you get that idea? By default they work like all other decent smartswitches. Top=ON Bottom=OFF. However, they are completely programmable, and you can change what they do (change light levels; send commands, etc) on single and/or double taps of either end.

- Mark.

Reply to
Mark Thomas

Double tap or tap and hold, etc.

So if the lights are half dimmed and you want them all the way on you double tap the TOP button. To dim, you tap and then hold it down to dim (I think, I'd have to check the docs).

that's true but if you can tap 'either end' to 'invert' the state it is NOT a true rocker. the X10 units, regardless of feel, work like that if you had a really really big switch paddle on them. that's not what I'm looking for.

A true rocker, if you hit the bottom and the lights are off, the lights stay off. With ANY X10 unit that isn't a true rocker, if you hit the bottom and your finger slips BOOM the lights turn on.

I think that's one of the reasons people think X10 isn't very reliable, when you intend to turn the lights on or off you have to check to see what they are and hope you don't stutter when you press the button.

I know, the immediate comment is "it's not that hard to not press the button if the lights aren't on" but that misses the point.

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

I didn't write that - I was commenting to the opposite point, that's why I cut the >>>

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

That's less-worse than X10 but still a bit confusing. It's tough to make it 'easier' since there's only the up/down action of a wall switch. The added side dimmer rocker on RadioRA units helps a bit.

The X10 switches are horrible in both feel AND operation. That the underlying powerline operation is completely unreliable doesn't help either.

Yes, novice users would certainly question X10 reliability based on the switch action. Then, once they learn how to use the switches, they'd discover the other reliability problems. It's my advice they just avoid X10 entirely, it just doesn't work reliably enough to put up with.

I agree with you. I find the RadioRA switches to be very user friendly in how regular people expect them to behave. That it's got the second switch on it's side helps manage dimming a bit better than ones without it.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Thanks Bill ..

By the way I think you understood my comment wasn't at you, just trying to anticipate what other people might say.

The Lutron switches look good, but boy those controllers hammer you. I guess the intelligence is built into the controller.

== John ==

Reply to
John D. Gwinner

Heh, it is a strectch justifying the costs. They ARE expensive, but they WORK. Every single time. No more powerline foolishness, never ever again.

Having been a long-time X10 sufferer I can tell you this is a HUGE benefit and worth the cost.

I'm sure two years from now when zigbee switches are half the price I'll be kicking myself. But in the field of home automation promises are many but deliveries and fulfilment of expectation are often few. So I'll stick with the RadioRA system until equally well built and reliable alternatives actually prove themselves. That and scour the web for the best deals meanwhile.

-Bill Kearney

Reply to
wkearney99

Cabling-Design.com Forums website is not affiliated with any of the manufacturers or service providers discussed here. All logos and trade names are the property of their respective owners.